Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting, common fixes not working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crayzhomie

crayzhomie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hello everybody!
I was referred to this site by a friend who told me how helpful you all were to her. I'm hoping that you can solve my problem.

Here's the deal: My Windows XP Home Edition desktop computer (HP Pavilion a712n) will not start-up. About a minute into start-up, it will automatically restart, and this cycle will repeat. I realize that this indicates some sort of crash.

What I was doing right before this happened: I was burning some files to blank CD's, about 20 of them. Once I finished, I started double-checking each one to make sure the files I wanted were on each CD. At one point, the CD drive refused to open and cough up the CD I had put in there. Nothing I tried worked. So, I restarted the computer (Note that I did this manually (perhaps not the best decision) - I held the power button for a few seconds, it turned off, and then I pressed it again to turn it back on) and that's when the problem started occuring.

I'm really unsure of what to do here.

-I've already tried booting in Safe Mode, and all other options presented to me on that screen (Last Known Configuration, Normally, etc.). This does not work; it just restarts again.

-I've also tried booting from a created XP CD. The factory CD was not supplied to me when I bought the computer, and I burned this file to a CD (http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso). This was a link posted on the "Xp Boot "fixes"" thread of this forum. The problem I had here is that my computer would NOT boot from the CD, even after setting it as priority and also after disabling everything else.

The current option open for me now is to do a clean install using HP System Recovery (not sure if that's the name, but it loads up when you press F10 on start-up). This option erases all my information (important word documents and other files), and I would STRONGLY prefer not to have to do this. If there's no other hope for my computer, I would like to explore other options, such as setting up a slave drive to save my files.

Please help me out! And thank you so much for any responses.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2010 - 07:46 AM.
Deleted unnecessary reference to last post in thread ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Are you sure that you created the XP Recovery disk properly?

Is there any way that you can test it to see if it's truly bootable?

Exactly what happened when you tried to boot to the CD? Did the boot options of your system even try to go to the optical drive option?

If you can get to the safe mode, etc. options...it would seem to me that you ought to be able to boot from the optical drive.

Louis

#3 crayzhomie

crayzhomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hi :flowers:.

Are you sure that you created the XP Recovery disk properly?

Is there any way that you can test it to see if it's truly bootable?

Exactly what happened when you tried to boot to the CD? Did the boot options of your system even try to go to the optical drive option?

If you can get to the safe mode, etc. options...it would seem to me that you ought to be able to boot from the optical drive.

Louis

Hello, thanks for your response.

I tried booting the CD using my Sony Vaio laptop, and that didn't work either. However, I've read about many people not being able to do this with a Sony Vaio, so I don't think it's a valid test. I did, however, open the contents of the CD once my laptop loaded and everything necessary is on there.

When I enabled only the CD drive to boot, the light on the CD drive would begin flickering, as if it was working (though I can't be 100% sure of that). After about 30 seconds, this stops and I get a "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK" message which shows up because I've disabled the HDD from booting up. Am I supposed to see a "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" message on the screen? I don't :thumbsup:. I'm fairly sure I've set up everything correctly, but perhaps I'm missing something.

No, unfortunately I can NOT get to safe mode. It just restarts again. I'll clarify in my original post.

Edited by crayzhomie, 16 August 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK" tends to show up when the system cannot read a bootable device.

List the files reflected when you use Explorer view on this CD, please.

Louis

#5 crayzhomie

crayzhomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK" tends to show up when the system cannot read a bootable device.

List the files reflected when you use Explorer view on this CD, please.

Louis

One folder named I386 with many, many files in it. And also two files named "WIN51" and "WIN51IC".

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

I don't believe that CD is bootable...my bootable disks all have an autorun file, among others.

Louis

#7 crayzhomie

crayzhomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

I don't believe that CD is bootable...my bootable disks all have an autorun file, among others.

Louis

Ahhh, I see. I figured that an auto-run file would be necessary, but wasn't sure. How can I make it bootable? How do I go about creating the auto-run file?
I realize I'll have to burn a new CD.

EDIT: I looked up how to create an auto-run file.
I created the notepad file and named it "autorun.inf". Inside I typed:

[autorun]
open=AUTOCHK.exe

Does that sound right? Am I directing it to open the right file? Also, should I place the auto-run file inside the I386 file, or it doesn't matter?

Thank you

Edited by crayzhomie, 16 August 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

I cannot tell you how to make your CD bootable.

I only know that what you have doesn't appear to be bootable and that means that it won't allow you to what was intended.

I suggest that you take your .iso file of the Recovery Console...and try again to produce a bootable CD.

<<If there's no other hope for my computer, I would like to explore other options, such as setting up a slave drive to save my files.>>

If this is true...I don't know why you are fixated on your CD that won't work. Attach the hard drive to a second system as a secondary drive...move the files.

Louis

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

Something else, make sure you're burning the .iso file as a CD image, also burn it at a slow speed.

#10 crayzhomie

crayzhomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

I cannot tell you how to make your CD bootable.

I only know that what you have doesn't appear to be bootable and that means that it won't allow you to what was intended.

I suggest that you take your .iso file of the Recovery Console...and try again to produce a bootable CD.

<<If there's no other hope for my computer, I would like to explore other options, such as setting up a slave drive to save my files.>>

If this is true...I don't know why you are fixated on your CD that won't work. Attach the hard drive to a second system as a secondary drive...move the files.

Louis

Alright thanks, I'll see if I can get any headway on that.

The main reason I want to get this computer up and running again is because it's a family computer, and they use it quite often. Just trying to be a good son :thumbsup: and help them out.

Something else, make sure you're burning the .iso file as a CD image, also burn it at a slow speed.

Hmmm, I'll see what I can do. I'll post about any other road blocks. Thanks.

Edited by crayzhomie, 16 August 2010 - 06:34 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

<<The main reason I want to get this computer up and running again...>>

A system recovery/restore to factory defaults...will do that...unless you have hardware problems.

Louis

#12 crayzhomie

crayzhomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

Problem solved.

For anyone curious/has a similar problem:

I downloaded a free trial program (PowerISO), because it specifically claimed to be able to write boot-able CD's. I burned the ISO (link in original post) to the CD with the slowest speed available (as suggested). I popped it into the computer in question and made sure that the CD drive was set to boot first. After a few seconds of a blank screen, a "Press any key to boot from CD" message appeared and I proceeded. I selected the "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R." option. It then asked me "Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto (To cancel, press ENTER)?" I selected the one that read "C:Windows", as there were multiple options for me to choose from. Once the prompt came up (where you can type), I typed in "chkdsk c: /r" and pressed enter. This started checking the C drive for errors and actually took awhile (it would say 50% complete and I'd come back like 20 minutes later to see it only at 54%), but once it finished and allowed me to type again, I typed in "exit" and pressed enter. This restarted my computer. Make sure that your computer is set to boot from HDD this time (I had previously disabled it in the BIOS).

Success! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help guys.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users