Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temp Files - Ilist & Icache

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cambot001

cambot001

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:07 AM

I'm wondering what program is producing these files, and what their function is. They have the following form:

ICACHE-xxxxxx.tmp
ILIST-xxxxxxx.tmp

They contain all sorts of random information.

I am using Windows 98 SE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:44 AM

I'm wondering what program is producing these files, and what their function is. They have the following form:

ICACHE-xxxxxx.tmp
ILIST-xxxxxxx.tmp

They contain all sorts of random information.

I am using Windows 98 SE.

Did you do a Google search for them? In any case it is usually safe to delete any file with a .tmp extension. If you are unsure, you can always move the files off to some temporary storage area.

#3 cambot001

cambot001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:08 AM

Yes, I tried googling both terms, all the results seemed to deal with programming terminology.

Ilist appears to be a programming function in .Net, as well as the name of a database application. icache brings up similar results.

I'm still googling using different terms without much luck (ilist file windows temp, icache file ilist windows temp, icache .tmp file ilist, etc).

The problem with google is you can't use wildcards (i.e., ilist-****.tmp, for example)

#4 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:32 AM

If you do not do any programming then I would say it is safe to delete those files.

#5 rhamton

rhamton

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:37 PM

A good and safe program to use to delete temp files is called clean up by Steven Goulds. Just run the standard cleanup and it safely removes temp files. Here's a link

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

#6 cambot001

cambot001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for your replies. I'm just really curious.

And a good cleanup utility would be useful, I'm finding temp files that've been sitting around for months...

#7 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:48 PM

I now use a program called "Crap Cleaner" every time I disconnect from the net--then I run Ad-Aware--this program (Crap Cleaner) not only gets rid of those temp files (that you mentioned) but also lets you maintain or dispose of cookies in your system as needed--I believe this program is recommended on this forum--where elso would I have gotten it???? It is a real time saver!!! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: Any other users of this program please chip in in with a YAY or NAY--OK--- :cool:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:02 PM

You can setup cCleaner to automaticily run at startup (My Choice), and select which cookies you don't want to delete (again My choice).
Just be very very careful with this program. It modifies you registry.
If you are going to use it I would recommend backing up your registry weekly. I do religiously.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users