Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TitanFan

TitanFan

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

I have setup two Windows XP virtual machines under the same Windows 7 account: “Windows XP Mode” and “Windows XP Mode 1”. When I select “Start > All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode”, the “Windows XP Mode 1” virtual machine is launched. How can I make it so that the “Windows XP Mode” virtual machine is launched from the start menu instead of the “Windows XP Mode 1” virtual machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hi TitanFan, Welcome to BleepingComputer I'm only running one instance of XP in my Windows Virtual PC but if you pin WVPC to your taskbar you can right click on it and select what you want to do eg: Select a resent virtual machine or Tasks-"manage virtual machines" Just drag the folder from your start menu and drop it in your taskbar or click on Windows Virtual PC in your programs menu then right click on the Windows Virtual PC icon and select pin to taskbar. Then when you want to run a specific virtual machine you can select the one you want. Cheers

#3 TitanFan

TitanFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

I just tried your suggestion, and it works great - thanks!

#4 TitanFan

TitanFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

I just found out how to set the default virtual machine that is launched via “Start > All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode”. You have to enable the ability to see hidden files, then navigate to "<user account directory>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtal PC" and edit the options.xml fie.

In my case, I had the following entry:

<default_vm type="string">Windows XP Mode 1</default_vm>

You just have the change the value to the virtual machine name you want to launch by default (i.e. "Windows XP Mode") and save file.

Edited by TitanFan, 20 August 2010 - 11:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users