Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Update for Windows XP (KB981852)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

I have tried several times to install Security Update for Windows XP (KB981852). But I get an error message that all the updates couldn't be installed. I went to the Microsoft update history and found the Error Code: 0x8007F0F4 for the reason for the failure.

When I restart the computer, it gives me notice that it is installing the updates. But after re-booting, Security Update for Windows XP (KB981852) is still there to install. I have installed other Security Updates for Windows XP as recently as a few week ago. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hi -
Do you set the updates to Auto install or Download and let me install later -
I found the second one better as you always know what the update was for , you also can watch if any items fail to install -
Do you know exactly what the update is for ?? I had a M/S office update that sat in the tray for 2 weeks until I could remove it -
Many times it lists what the update is for - That is what can help -

Thank You -
EDIT -

Executive Summary
This security update resolves several privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. The most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on locally and ran a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit these vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users.

It is not a generally required update -

Edited by noknojon, 15 August 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#3 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

It's set for Download and lets me install later.

It's a security update to fix "A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it."

#4 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for your reply!!! re: "it is not a generally required update -" but why won't it install?

Edited by Konadan, 15 August 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

May help, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958051

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users