Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs/Apps blocked from the internet, but browsers work (desite crashing)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Delita_chan

Delita_chan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

Hi,
I started to notice this problem when I tried to access the iTunes home store but kept denying me because there was no internet connection. I could use the program fine otherwise. However, Firefox and IE connected to the internet with no problems, as does MIRC.

It wasn't a big deal until Firefox started crashing quite a bit, at random sites for no reason. I upgraded, then firefox did not connect to the internet at all (though there was a connection present). I went to the options and changed to "auto detect proxies" and still have the same problem of crashing. I downloaded Opera and it works fine except occasional crashes. I was told to update Flash and I did, then Java, but the Java also tells me that there is no internet connection (or some darn thing).

I tried to run Malwarebyte's Anti Malware but it simply does not start up. I click it several times and it won't even start up. I've rebooted and it won't work. I don't uninstall it because I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to redownload it. This is because I've tried virtually every virus scanner and they all say there's an internet connection problem or some other error (They're not specific).

I've tried the Windows firewall and it still doesn't help.

I'm worried that there might be a virus, although I've not seen any other signs of a virus. I"m also using a Netgear router (have been for years).

Tried Rkill awhile ago and it killed two registry keys from Symantic (though I uninstalled Norton a year ago) and a legitimate windows process.

I'm at wits end with this PC. If I even knew if it was a virus or the router, I could have a better idea of how to fix this. I thank you geniuses for all your help.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users