Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Vs Ie

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 chuker1984

chuker1984

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

WHo likes what? WHats better?? and why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

Firefox is faster, safer, and friendlier. I still have IE, though, because some sites don't run well in FF. Especially if they need certain plugins or are Windows Update.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:23 PM

I use firefox. The tabs is like a life saver for me because im on dial up. I can load one or two pages all while reading another.

Firefoxs download manager has never worked for me though and thats one thing I dont like. I had to get another download manager so I could pause and resume. Firefox has trouble with that.

The extensions are great too. There are so many for so many different tasks!

#4 hiteckee

hiteckee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:42 AM

You guys are stuck with inferior browsers. Try Opera, and you'll find lightning-fast loading, tabs, the wand, and a download transfer manager that leave FF & IE in the dust, as well as many other features and skins you may customize.

Opera, which is now free, has only 1% of the market worldwide, but that's because people in this country just haven't tried it. No security issues like the other two, either.

And, yes, the web page developers are so married to IE that I can't escape using it for some (just some) financial and other sites. Open your eyes to Opera!

#5 Rawe

Rawe

• Members
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

No security issues like the other two, either.

IE is full of security issues, we all know that. Firefox isn't. Usually if any security bug is found, Mozilla patches it up in a week or so. I think Firefox is easier to use than Opera though. I have Opera, but I have always like Firefox better.

As for the download manager or browser speed, IE is the only browser that is slow. Firefox loads sites faster than my Opera, even though Opera should be fastest. I guess that isn't the case for all of us.

There's also the "WindizUpdate" site: http://www.windowsupdate.62nds.com/
Which works with FF, Opera and many other alternative browsers. I haven't used IE for about 4 months now, if I remember correctly.. There is no need for it. It might be just personal preference if you want to use Opera rather than Firefox.. But FF is better in my OPINION. That's the keyword. :thumbsup:
Hi there, stranger!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

I use IE 6 in XP Pro, and Mozzila in Linux. I find Mozzila clean, but I am a creature of comfort and find IE very convenient.
I guess I am extremely lucky. I have never had an issue with IE. My current computer (main computer, 1 of 4) has had the this install of XP since march of '03 with no ill affects. The other other computers has Windows 2000, install march of '05, and 2 linux boxes with Mozzila on both.
I guess time will tell on #1 box. It stays on 24/7.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

Right now, my own preference is for the Mozilla Suite (Browser and E-mail Client) for the following reasons:
1. It is not part of the Windows Operating System.
2. It does not use activeX controls.
3. It consistently loads pages much faster than my version of IE.
4. Security patches are issued promptly, often as fast as three days from discovery rather than three months.
5. It has tabbed browsing, serveral managers (cookies, download, bookmark), and a large range of useful extensions.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

I like Firefox so much more then IE. I havn't had any problems with firefox unlike the problems I have had with IE.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

Yes I love Mozilla Firefox! Especially the pre-RC (its like RC.5). It's a lot faster and more stable.

Here is a link:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...2.installer.exe

Edited by yano, 01 November 2005 - 03:02 PM.

#10 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:17 PM

Firefox!!! :thumbsup:

I've had soooo many bad experiences with IE; I only use it for Windows Updates. If a site doesn't look quite right, who cares? It's better than massive security issues that takes months for Microsoft to patch.

...But that's just me. If IE works and doesn't give you viruses and spyware, then more power to you!

#11 shortsexychica

shortsexychica

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

I use FireFox and I love it. I don't use IE unless I need to update Windows or something of the like. I love my Fox! :thumbsup:

#12 Esmerelda Weatherwax

Esmerelda Weatherwax

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Location:trying to operate the scrap heap known as my desktop compter
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:59 PM

Firefox all the way. I've loved it since I first started using it. The tabs are very handy.

Someone I know used Firefox for months, then uninstalled it and switched to IE again and immediately got a virus. I was tempted to laugh and had to help re-install Firefox and fix the virus problem.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:31 PM

I downloaded FF and am test driving it. It seems OK, but in my option nothing too speical. It is noticible quicker. I tried the page tabs and am puzzled. What makes them more unqie than clicking the browser window boxes in the taskbar. The main difference is the tabs are inside and at the top of the page and the boxes are near the bottem. I not saying this is a bad opinion, I just don't see the great difference. I will explorer morre over the next few weeks.
To the reference about IE and virus' I have not had a virus on one of my four computers since '03. This would explan why my family is constantly besiezed with malware and virus'.
I feel I am netrual about the browser debate. I have downloaded FF, Opera, and Netscape(which I'm sure is a flavor of Mozzila). I am going to use each of the 4 to see the differences. I sure this has been done before. I'm just going to do it again.
Should be fun.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:46 PM

acklan,

It is noticible quicker.

Even more so, after pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
The speed, is one of the things I like most.

I tried the page tabs and am puzzled. What makes them more unqie than clicking the browser window boxes in the taskbar. The main difference is the tabs are inside and at the top of the page and the boxes are near the bottem. I not saying this is a bad opinion, I just don't see the great difference.

Having the tabs in the browser, eliminates the clutter in the taskbar, especially when you have 15 or more links open at the same time.
I can have 4 Firefox's open in the taskbar, but over 100 links open at the same time, if so desired.

I also like the flexability extensions add.
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
No added bloat of features you don't want, or need.
One of the reasons it runs faster.
Run it as loaded as you want, or as lean as you want, it's up to you.

In case you can't tell, I prefer Firfox. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 01 November 2005 - 06:46 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

Can you ALT + TAB to get to the next FF window?? I love that in IE, because I rarely touch my mouse anyways.... good old run command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users