Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update - Not configured correctly. Reverting changes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Professorbed

Professorbed

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hi

Recently after my Dell computer downloaded latest window updates, and then trying to install them as normal, it says after it reboots

"Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes."

This it does and goes to the normal log inscreen, but this has happened more than once now. After a recent virus problem that was sorted by you guys on here i also have a message about blocked startup programs.

I dont know what i should do if anything, would be very grateful for some advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

You don't want to ignore it, since it sounds like the Windows Updates are failing, and you will need the newest security patches and updates to keep from getting infected again. Just recently I had a computer I was working on with the same problem after being infected as well. I ended up doing a clean install of Vista from the Recovery Partition, and then running updates all over again until it was up to date.

Have you tried Last Best Known Configuration yet?

#3 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for that. To be honest i dont use computers extensively, so i dont know how to do last best known configuration. So any help gratefully received.

Thanks

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

Reboot (or start) your computer, as soon as you hear it beep while the screen is still black, start tapping the F8 key until the Safe Mode menus appears. You will see an option toward the bottom called Last Best Known Configuration.
Use your arrow key to scroll down and highlight, press enter.

Your system should reboot, and hopefully everything will work again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

FWIW: Seems to happen to Vista users, take a look at suggestions by Tim Quan Here.

Louis

#6 mrhappyrotter

mrhappyrotter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

I know this topic is a bit dated, but I ran into a similar problem and now I seem to have fixed it, so I'd like to share.

First of all, the symptoms I was having. I'm using Vista SP2. Sometime a few months back, I started having problems with Windows Update. I'd get alerts that there were new updates (they automatically downloaded). After installation, they would ultimately require a restart. Upon restarting, step 2 would complete, then the computer would actually reboot. On boot up, the updater would go through step 3, complete that, then immediately upon completion, my computer would restart again. Once it booted back into Windows, I would get the message "Updates not configured properly. Reverting changes." Then I could log in and start using Vista. However, the update would always be listed as failed.

My first assumption was that this is the result of some nefarious virus/malware. However, scans with AVG, Malwarebytes, and several other security utilities would not reveal any infections. Neither would Windows Defender, but I didn't trust that because the virus definitions for Defender would also fail to update.

I have searched for solutions to this problem, and found many suggestions, none of them worked. Many solutions were for situations where the computer gets caught in a boot/reboot loop after installing updates. That was not the issue I was having. Also, many solutions simply suggested re-installing Windows, which sounded a bit too drastic for my tastes. Performing system restore also failed to fix the issue.

Anyway, after many hours scratching my head, checking this setting and that setting, I suddenly remembered that earlier in the year, I had changed some of the settings of various services (via services.msc) so that they would start up automatically, but delayed. I went into the services (type services.msc in the run box) and reset all of the services that were delayed, restarted the computer, and tried Windows Update once again. Sure enough, that fixed the issue. Apparently, Windows Update was failing because some service wasn't starting at the right time.

Therefore, if you are having this problem, it might be worthwhile to ensure that services are set to automatic and not automatic(delayed).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users