Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP vs 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wizho

Wizho

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hello people, for some time I've wanted to install Windows 7 on this machine, it is about 5 years old, here are some basic specs of this PC:

[Dell Optiplex 170L]
P4 @ 2.8GHz
1.5GB RAM DDR PC3200
320GB SATA HDD
Intel 82865G Graphics Controller with 64MB dedicated and up to 96MB shared (total rubbish but I can play WoW with it)
It has always had Windows XP Professional Edition.

My PC can run Windows 7, I just need to know if Windows 7 will run faster than XP regarding boot-up time, executing programs, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

I've thought that timing on any system...is more dependent on what is installed, how much memory the system has, and hard drive space...than the O/S.

I run both of the mentioned O/Ses...I've never though of either as "faster" or "slower", since the programs installed are not comparable.

Others perceive differently.

Louis

#3 Wizho

Wizho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

So what would you recommend for a PC with those specs, Windows XP or 7?
I'm fine with Windows XP, and I like 7, though my graphics adapter won't be able to run the visual effects, that's not a problem at all.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I cannot recommend what O/S you might want to use :thumbsup:.

Windows aren't the only O/Ses either...there are the various linux distros.

I have two installs of both XP and Win 7 on my systems right now, I don't see it as an either/or situation.

I find that experimentation is the technique I use to decide such. If my system runs Win 7 to my satisfaction, I install Win 7. If not, I install XP. But...I have multiple systems so I install both.

Louis

#5 Wizho

Wizho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I also have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a diferent partition and XP as my primary OS.
I just tried to install Windows 7 from my hard drive since I don't have a DVD drive, I had to make an ISO file on another PC and copy the ISO file here through LAN.
Now I'm getting this error message every time Windows 7 installation starts: "Windows setup experienced an unexpected error. To install Windows restart the installation"
This happens right after "Copying temporary files", which in fact doesn't even last more than 10 seconds before I get the error.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

I don't believe that anyone can install Win 7 from a hard drive...I don't understand this whole bit about copying an .iso file.

In any case, for inquiries about installing Win 7...you would best be served by posting in the BC Win 7 forum, not here in XP :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users