Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Me And Xp Connection Sharing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nexus

nexus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

I have a machine with windows XP and another one with windows ME. I have two NICs in the XP machine, cause I connect to the internet through a cabe modem with one NIC and I pretend to connect my other computer (Win ME one) with the other NIC. Anyway, I have been trying to find a tutorial on doing this with no success, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that would know how to do this. I have tried using the windows XP utility for setting up connection sharing but when I try to use the floppy it created on my Win ME machine it apparently doesn't recognize the file system, it tells me the disk must be formatted... any help will be greatly apprecitated.

Edited by nexus, 30 October 2005 - 07:41 PM.

</message>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

When you are connecting your ME computer to the XP computer are you using a patch cable or a crossover cable. You should be using a crossover. It should be marked with OXOX or have the word "Crossover" printed on it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

Try another disk, if that still doesn't work your floppy drive in the ME machine may be faulty.
(You could try cleaning it out with a can of compressed air from a computer shop but its probably cheaper just to replace the drive.)

As acklan said, if you are connecting NIC to NIC you must use a Cat 5 cross-over cable.

Quote from XP help:

Before running the Network Setup Wizard on computers running Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium Edition, make sure ICS is disabled on those computers.

- you will need to do that.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users