Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone know of a mouse for mac w/ a magnify button?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

The font in system profiler is very hard to read on my macbook pro and it doesn't have any options to increase the font like I found in mac and iWork help. I tried lowering the screen resolution, but it didn't really increase the font. I'm afraid to lower it all the way - in windows when I lowered the screen resolution I couldn't get to the end of the dialogue box I needed to change the resolution back Everything got too big. I only got out of that one because I knew how to tab my way thru the dialog box and I remembered how many tabs to go to exit. Lowering the resolution in the mac seemed to mess up the windows so I couldn't get to one side, but I'm not good at moving them around yet.

I've been using the MS Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000 on my pc w/ its option button to magnify. It works very nicely when I run into some too small to read text in a dialog box or help function. Its CD doesn't appear to have mac drivers. Has anyone run across a wireless laser mouse for mac w/ a magnify option for the extra buttons?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

How to use the zoom function in mac using keyboard,

Press option command 8 then press option command = to zoom in then press option command - to zoom out, also if zoomed in you can just press option command 8 again to turn zoom off. :blink:

Edited by computerxpds, 15 August 2010 - 11:36 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

Also upon reading a little further through your post, the only mouse that you can customize the buttons with on a mac is an apple mouse,, it's apples own design so that they can keep it all with their own hardware. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

I can zoom in and out while I'm holding down the Control key and turning the scroll wheel on my third party mouse. It isn't a wireless mouse though.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thanks computerxpds and Buddyme2,

I used the zoom keyboard shortcuts and it's great. Better than my magnify mouse button. I was going blind trying to go thru System Profiler and trying a few commands on Terminal. Hadn't come across those shortcuts in the lists I've gone over thus far.

I found that MS provides mac os X drivers for my mouse [for once I found what I was looking for at MS!], but if I can't customize the buttons I don't know what the driver does. The L and R buttons and scroll wheel work just by plugging in the USB wireless adapter.

I tried out the apple wonder mouse [ I forget what it's actually called] at the apple store and it was really nice, neat, super, bad, whatever the appropriate slang word. If I ever recover financially from my macbook purchase I'll probably get one. Since I don't need the magnify button anymore.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:10 AM

You can zoom in and out using the command plus -/+ keys with System Profiler? I couldn't. :blink:
Is there any options you can choose for the mouse in System Preferences > Hardware >Mouse?
I think it's the Magic Mouse you are referring to. Or was it the Mighty Mouse.

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

I was using terminal and I think key access when I tried the zoom and it worked for them. I have to zoom a LOT for both, which is kind of a pain but still better than using the magnify button. I found where to change the font and font size in Terminal > Preferences today and finally figured out you then have to go to Shell >Use Settings as Default to make it stick.

I tried system profiler w/ zoom today. Option-Command-8 makes the font larger but then command-+ doesn't increase it any. I'll have to do what I did w/ a lot of help functions on my pc's and put the info into a word processor so I can control font size.

I'm not sure personal computers are ready for HD LCDs - Not until they adjust all the fonts/icon sizes in all the utilities. Thankfully, font and icon size can be increased in Finder using View > Show View Options. I don't need an HD LCD but there weren't any LD options.

Edited by MaryBet82, 19 August 2010 - 11:55 AM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

max os X 10.6 on macbook pro

I found the Control zoom today and it works on System Profiler. Well, it zooms the whole screen, not a single application, but it's quick to zoom in and then out when you access another application. You have to have the Screen Zoom option checked under Two Fingers in System Preferences > Trackpad. Then you hit the control key and drag two fingers up/down the trackpad. For mice users there is also a Zoom using scroll wheel while holding Control in the Mouse System Preferences. That works for me too since I'm using a mouse w/ a wheel.
I don't know if it works w/ the Magic and Miracle Mice.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users