Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect Virus Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vixen80

vixen80

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

I have had several errors with my netbook recently first I had a fake antivirus attack which caused several errors and issues with my machine. I rectified these using anti malwarebytes and superantivirus.
Over the past few days I have noticed that google keeps redirecting to a site called scour.com/beta which i believe is a redirect virus.

I have scanned with avast, antmalwarebytes, superantivirus and spybot - search and destroy and they are all coming up clear.

Any suggestions?
I have heard that combofix is good but should only be done on your advice?

Thanks
Kerry

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2010 - 01:54 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

Hi vixen80, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Scour.com/beta is a search engine. I'm not sure why you are being redirected to it, but it looks like it isn't a virus, at least from what I've been able to find on it.

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 vixen80

vixen80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that scour.com is a search engine however I am also aware that there is a virus out there that emulates this and redirects google to this and then will not allow you to move back from this page once redirected which is what is happening in my case.

I really could do with some help.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.zip) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to print out and follow all instructions for performing a scan or refer to these instructions with screenshots.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the Desktop. Vista/Windows 7 users refer to these instructions.
  • If you don't have an extracting program, you can download TDSSKiller.exe and use that instead.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • When the program opens, click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
    Note: If 'Suspicious' objects are detected, you will be given the option to Skip or Quarantine. Skip will be the default selection.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
-- If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to these instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer.

-- For any files detected as 'Suspicious', get a second opinion by submitting to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users