Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP: c000021a Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marli

Marli

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

I have a Windows XP laptop with SP3. Earlier today I was just browsing the internet, nothing special, and out of nowhere I began getting all these popups from my Avira. Well, since I had this problem before and I solved it by clicking on delete file on each popup and then scanning my computer, I was planning on doing the same but the popups would not stop. I tried opening up Task Manager to see if I could see a program running that wasn't supposed to be or whatever but my task manager would not come up. Instead, I kept getting an error saying Task Manager could not start up because of something registry error or I'm not sure what it said. I got scared and just forced it to shut down.

When I tried to reboot, I got the blue screen saying STOP: c00002la {Fatal System Error}The Windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of Oxc0000034 (Ox00000000 Ox00000000). The system has been shut down.

I have tried running Safe Mode, booting from last configuration that worked. I have tried nearly everything I have seen online from using the Recovery Console, chkdsk, bootcfg, all those.. have copied the system files into tmp and tried to do what it said on the Windows website but nothing has changed. I don't want to lose my files because there are important pictures from my niece when she was born and everything I have done through college. I can't lose these files. I seen somewhere that some people somehow are able to copy the files onto the usb and back them up. This would be awesome so I could backup all my files on another computer and just reinstall Windows XP. Is this possible?

Also, I seen somewhere about a BartPE CD and since I have no other windows XP computer, I was wondering if I could make this CD on a NON Windows XP computer and run it on my laptop? My sister has a Vista and Windows 7 computer. If anyone knows.. it would help a lot. Another thing I saw was that someone posted that they popped in the XP CD, went into Install Windows options as if she was to reinstall XP and she got the option to repair the existing installation and someone else posted that they had the option of keeping the drive intact or something. Does anyone know about this?

I don't know what else to do and I don't have the money to take it somewhere. :/ Any advice or help would be very very much appreciated.

Edited by Marli, 15 August 2010 - 05:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

A repair installation will not affect your files, so this is one option. One other option it to try a System Restore. I'll provide you with instructions for both of these.

System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Repair Installation.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Okay so I went into the Windows Setup (since I can't go into Start and that because I haven't been able to log into the system) and accepted the License Agreement and I got the screen saying:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the exisiting partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select an item in the list.
To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press Enter.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete the selected partition, press D.

94394 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi.
C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 94366 MB (31345 MB free)
D: Partition2 [NTFS]. 1028 MB (1018 MB free)

This isn't one of the repair options right? Selecting one would completely delete my data?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

That CD...doesn't reflect a repair option (which would be the Recovery Console), which means that it's not the same as a Genuine XP CD.

System manufacturer and model, please?

Disks issued by laptop manufacturers are (IMO) unlikely to be true MS XP CDs, but are more likely to be recovery/restore CDs which are designed to work on that particular system and may include software and driver installs for the system. Some manufacturers provide "reinstallation CDs" and separate disks for programs/drivers...there is no uniform pattern.

The disks provided by these manufacturers...are not developed to enable repairs that might be conducted by using a MS Genuine XP CD...such as what most of us think of as a "repair install." The disks are designed to allow the user to reinstall or restore/recover the system...to factory defaults or otherwise start anew.

Louis

#5 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Well, before the license agreement, I do get asked to press R for the Recovery Console but shed said to press enter to go into the Windows Setup. After the license agreement, I got what I posted above. I have a Fujitsu Lifebook N3530 running on Windows XP Media Center but the CD I popped in is a Windows XP CD Home Edition I acquired from my sister. Could this be the reason? Do I need a XP Media Center CD?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

Well...you have complicated things :thumbsup:.

Now that we know that you do get an option for the Recovery Console...we can dismiss most of what I said before (if not all).

But...the fact that you have an MCE system...and an XP Home disk...I see that as a problem.

MCE is not the same as XP Home, in fact, it's closer to XP Pro.

I don't know what impact doing an install with an XP Home license would do...and you don't have a license for a clean install of XP Home on that system.

In answer to your question...yes, I would say that you need a Media Center CD if you are going to attempt a repair install...or an XP Pro CD. I've read a few times that some Media Center owners used an XP Pro CD successfully...I would not recommend it.

There were two versions of MCE and I believe that the first version did not come on CDs, only installed on systems sold. The 2005 version of MCD is available on CD.

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fpca...et_lb_N3530.pdf

From what I can see, you have the 2005 version of MCE...do you have an install CD that came with?

From http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2888L: "The physical media the N3530 ships are a Recovery Utility Disc, Drivers and Applications Restore DVD...", so it doesn't appear that you would have a CD capable of facilitating a repair install.

Louis

#7 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Okay, so if I were to get a hold of a Windows Media Center XP cd and popped it in, it would give me the option at that screen I posted earlier to repair that installation of Windows to where I would not lose my data? I bought it in 2006 so it is pretty, pretty old and I really don't care much for the system itself, I just really don't want to lose the files really.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

If data files are all that you want (not programs, not system files)...you can just remove the hard drive, attach it to a second system as a secoindary or USB-connected drive...and move the files to hard drive, CD, DVD, etc.

Yes, a CD reflecting the same O/S and the same SPs as the system you want to repair...could be used to do a repair install, using your original license.

Louis

#9 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Okay well I got a copy of the CD and I popped it in and got the screen asking If I wanted to repair a certain Windows installation or make a new install. At the top it actually said Windows XP Professional Setup so I thought it was at least progress. I let it "repair" and it said "This part was completed successfully. Setup will reboot and continue setup or something similar.

When it rebooted it said installing windows, 39 minutes left. I got scared and turned it off. Is this deleting all my other files?
I actually tried just starting Windows without the CD or finishing the installation and nothing.. I got a black screen and also in safe mode, a black screen with Safe Mode around the corners..

Edited by Marli, 15 August 2010 - 10:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users