Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop advice - shoot it down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 speediskoolsmom

speediskoolsmom

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

I would like your thoughts on a laptop I am thinking of buying.
I am returning to college, majoring in CIS. Want the new laptop to get me thru the next 1 1/2 years - capable of handling whatever I might need in my computer classes.

Want:

decent graphics (not integrated)
strong CPU
good sound (to enjoy the oldies/newbies)
touch screen - just because I want it - but I could get one of those Bamboo motion/pen pads

Have looked at Sony, HP (have a dead one staring at me now - died 3 days after warranty did), Dell, Lenovo, Asus, Acer.
By the time I get done customizing a pc the way I want it - it's too pricey.
Please look at this build and give me the pro's and con's. I have heard good/bad about Acer - but recent reviews seem ok.
The only thing I dislike is the 5400 rpm. hd speed. If you can find a comparable system for near the same price, please let me know. Also let me know if you see any more reviews or outlets selling this system!!

Thanks!! Kathy

Price - $849.99 US. Acer Aspire AS5745PG-3882
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-450M Mobile Processor (3MB Intel® Smart Cache, 2.4GHz)
Chipset Mobile Intel® HM55 Express
4GB (2GB installed in each of two or four memory slots) DDR3 1066 SDRAM
500GB SATA hard drive, 5400RPM
Integrated variable-speed Super-Multi drive
5-in-1 card reader for - MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO™ or xD-Picture Card™

Video:
Acer® CineCrystal HD 15.6" (1366 x 768) high-brightness (220-nit) TFT LCD
16:9 aspect ratio, 8ms response time, LED backlight, frameless design, mercury-free
Integrated multi-touch screen supporting finger touch

Discrete NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M graphics
Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 support

Acer® Video Conference with integrated Acer® Crystal Eye webcam, 1280 x 1024 resolution
MPEG-2 DVD, WMV9/VC-1 (Windows® Media Video 9, VC-1 standard), H.264/AVC decoding
VGA and HDMI™ (High-Definition Multimedia Interface™) with HDCP (high-bandwidth digital-content protection) ports
Support for simultaneous display on notebook LCD and external monitor
Audio Integrated microphone
Microsoft® DirectSound® compatibility

Optimized third-generation Dolby® Home Theater® audio enhancement
Headphones/speaker/line-out with SPDIF support and microphone ports
Interface Ports DC-in
RJ-45 LAN
VGA
Headphones/speaker/line-out with SPDIF support
Microphone
HDMI™ (High-Definition Multimedia Interface™) with HDCP (high-bandwidth digital-content protection)
Four USB 2.0

Communications Acer® InviLink Nplify network connection supporting 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN, Acer® SignalUp technology for enhanced antenna efficiency, WI-FI CERTIFIED™
Gigabit LAN, Wake-on-LAN ready
Acer® Video Conference with integrated Acer® Crystal Eye webcam, 1280 x 1024 resolution

Acer® TouchPortal
103-key Acer® FineTip keyboard, independent standard numeric keypad, international language support
Play/pause, stop, previous, next, volume up, volume down media control keys printed on keyboard
Multi-gesture touchpad supporting two-finger scroll, pinch, rotate, flip
Acer® PowerSmart key
14.9" (379.0mm) W x 9.8" (250.0mm) D x 1.1" - 1.4” (28.5mm – 36.0mm) H 6.0 lb. (2.75kg)
Six-cell lithium ion battery:
- Up to 3.5 hours life depending on configuration and usage
- 2.0 hours recharge time with power off, 80% charge in 1.0 hour

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, it seems like a good machine for what you'd need it for. All the reviews I saw have been good.

5400 rpm isn't too bad. You can always upgrade it, (have someone else do it, you most likely don't know how to). :blink:

RAM is fine, DDR3 is faster than DDR2, etc.

You should be just fine with this laptop. :wacko:

Just curious... what OS does it have?

#3 speediskoolsmom

speediskoolsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

Toop4 - thanks for answering.

Curious - what brand of pc are you using?

The Acer has Win 7 Home Premium.

As far as the HDrive - I could change it in a desktop - how dangerous is it to try it on a laptop?
Cracked open a ltop for someone that had spilled liquid (unknown) into it - and could see where the motherboard was fried.
Had the proverbial problem of excess screws when I sealed it back up.

Will prob try to change out the drive when the warranty expires (would void it, wouldn't it?).
How much of an effect on performance will the 5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm have?
When my computers are new - I like them to blow most other people's away (want the i7 - ). Speed Envy.

Thought everyone would tell me to stay away from Acer - but can't beat the price. Hope it doesn't feel/look cheap - haven't seen it yet.

Thanks again - you made me feel safer in making an order for Acer.
Good day!!!
Kat

Edited by speediskoolsmom, 15 August 2010 - 02:42 PM.

#4 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

I have an ASUS laptop, K50IJ to be exact. I've heard they have bad customer support, but I haven't had to use it, yet. :blink:

It's harder to change a HDD in a laptop, and I personally wouldn't do it... Not sure if it'd void the warranty, most of the time it doesn't, but not exactly sure, that's something to ask Acer.

Depending on what you do, you might not see a big difference between the two HDDs. Between the two hard drives, there's only 1800 more RPMs, which is 25% of 7200 rpms.... Pretty sure mine is a 5400 RPM, and it's fast, so you make the call, do you need the extra speed?

I have a 2GHz dual core, and it hasn't been "slow," and I do a lot of stuff on my computer, so you probably don't need an i7. ;)

What exactly are you going to be doing on your laptop? What are you currently using (specs) and how fast/slow is it? That's something to compare it to.

From the people I've asked, they like Acer, and think higher of it than say... Dell and HP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users