Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run programs that require internet connection (help!)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 headexpl0dy

headexpl0dy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:30 AM

My computer has been acting weird lately. I use the Zune marketplace and Playon for my PS3 and whenever I try to sign in or use the programs they say that they cannot connect to the server or the bandwidth is low even though I'm getting 3mps. Even when I try to download templates for Microsoft word within the program. I can get on the internet just fine though, that's the weird thing. I've tried all of the troubleshooting that various tech support people have walked me through like allowing the programs on my AVG, disabling my firewall, etc and even getting rid of it completely but no luck. I can use the internet just fine and have run all the virus, spyware, and malware programs I have and like normal everything comes out clean. My computer did do something weird the other day though, it wouldn't get on the internet but then I got rid of my proxy and it was fine again but my programs still don't work. I've also called my ISP and there's nothing wrong with the line but whenever I use AT&T's self support tool it says that there is a problem with my connection even though it doesn't show it on their end. It also says that my line state, DSL state, and Ethernet status is down whatever that means.
I am running windows Vista 64 on an HP Pavilion m9340f.
I am OK with computers but not great and would appreciate any help y'all can give,

Thanks!

P.S. is there a good trustworthy program I can download to search for and fix problems like these that might help? I have Glary Utilities but that didn't work...

Edited by headexpl0dy, 15 August 2010 - 12:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

My computer did do something weird the other day though, it wouldn't get on the internet but then I got rid of my proxy and it was fine again

If your proxy settings randomly changed, that sounds like malware. You should go ahead and post in the Am I Infected? forum.

Edited by NpaMA, 15 August 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#3 headexpl0dy

headexpl0dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

I feel like such a schmuck, I disabled proxy's through firefox but totally forgot to do it in IE. Thanks so much, everything works again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users