Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acrobat Reader Version 5, want Version 9

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

The old laptop computer with Windows XP (now service pack 3) has version 5 of Acrobat Reader. I would like to upgrade to version 9 if this is possible. The Adobe or Acrobat website is not helpful about how to gain this change. Would version 9 work on this old machine? (about 9 GB of hard disc capacity remaining on a 30 GB hard disc, 2.0GHz processor, 512 MB R.A.M.). What should be done? Uninstall through Control Panel's Add/Remove feature, then download and install Reader Version 9? Just download Version 9 and install on top of already existing installed Version 5? Use little button on top of Adobe Reader 5 that gives mouse-hover message "Visit Adobe Reader Site..."? Should my old machine use a version less than 9 but greater than 5? Could I instead just uninstall version 5 through Control Panel and download and install the latest Foxit Reader? I might like to use Foxit instead just because it might be smaller and swifter than Adobe/Acrobat Reader, but I'm not sure which is best and not sure about cleanly removing Adobe/Acrobat Reader 5.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

Adobe Reader

You can download it from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
After installing the latest Adobe Reader, uninstall all previous versions.
Note. If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

Alternatively, you can uninstall Adobe Reader (33.5 MB), download and install Foxit PDF Reader(3.5MB) from HERE.
It's a much smaller file to download and uses a lot less resources than Adobe Reader.
Note: When installing FoxitReader, make sure to UN-check any pre-checked toolbar, or other garbage.

Edited by Broni, 14 August 2010 - 11:24 PM.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

I dont recomend foxit neither does many staff and members here any more it was good once now it is filled with junk ware see here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=foxit&st=0

Some other readers that are good and are recommended by animal one of our admins are:

I'm no longer a fan of FoxIt and have found my personal alternative to both foxit and adobe.

PDF-XChange Viewer Free: http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Another free alternative I've seen mentioned by respected sources but I don't have personal experience with is:

Sumatra PDF: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

:thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

PDF-XChange Viewer is not free though.

All you need to do in case of FoxIt (as well, as in case of any other program) is to follow "custom" installation and refuse (UN-check) all unwanted garbage.
FoxIt is only one of of hundreds other free programs, which try to sneak in some other "drive-by-install" junk.
Pretty full list of those shameless programs can be found here: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/...-hall-of-shame/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Broni,
I just checked the foxit website. At one time there was a zipped package of version 3 which allowed putting Foxit onto the computer without putting in other garbage. I saw nothing about any zipped package of Foxit, neither version 3 nor version 4. Does anybody know if there still or really is a zipped package for Foxit Reader, version 3 or 4 ?

#6 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:33 AM

Here is a direct download link to Adobe Acrobat Reader version 9 for XP SP3. Save the download to your hard drive and then install from there.

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/read...dr933_en_US.exe

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

All you need to do in case of FoxIt (as well, as in case of any other program) is to follow "custom" installation and refuse (UN-check) all unwanted garbage.

My Website

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

PDF-XChange Viewer is not free though.

I beg to differ, as I have been using it for free for 3 years:

PDF-XChange Viewer

Those wishing to View/Modify or perform simple editing of PDF files on their Windows PC's now have a FREE alternative!

The FREE version of the PDF-XChange Viewer may be used without limitation for Private, Commercial, Goverment and all uses, provided it is not -: incorporated or distributed for profit/commerical gain with other software or media distribution of any type

Quote from this link: http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Oh....mea culpa :thumbsup:

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users