Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

notepad help?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ex1111

ex1111

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

hi..

i was doing a few spyware scans.. etc.. also removed a few unneed it programs.. for some reason all my notepads are showing on my desktop
as sample.txt how can i fix that where it doesnt show that anymore??? ( windows XP home edition )

Edited by ex1111, 14 August 2010 - 08:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

What don't you want to show anymore?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

What programs did you use to carry out those scans for spyware it could be an issue there, when did it happen; when you executed the scans or after removing some programs?

Edited by computerxpds, 14 August 2010 - 10:00 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 ex1111

ex1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

Baltboy RE: http://i37.tinypic.com/jzk269.jpg

What programs did you use to carry out those scans for spyware it could be an issue there, when did it happen; when you executed the scans or after removing some programs?

i used spyware doctor / spybot / Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware /
Malwarebytes didnt find anything... spy dr / spybot found some stuff..

i only removed some basic programs.. that i download it.. i dont know why the
notepads show as.txt

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

Oh now I understand what you mean, you want to know why the files show the file extensions. do all files show an extension such as .exe or as you mention .txt? I will be right back I am on my mac and I cannot remember the location of the setting to fix it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Ok go to control panel then folder options then click on the view tab then find the entry that says "hide extensions for known file types" (without the quotes) and check that box. After that click ok and all of the file extensions should be hidden. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#7 ex1111

ex1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

yes all files show an extension as .exe & .txt now it is fixed thank you very much...

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

You are Very welcome, Glad I was able to assist you! :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users