Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Windows install, computer won't detect any hardware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KelanKrowli

KelanKrowli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Ok, I have a wierd problem. Well actually 2.

The first one is that my original hdd must have gotten infected or something, because sound is totally disabled even though device manager says it's working, internet connection shows as being disconnected, but actually works, Windows update won't work at all, system restore is saying that there's nothing there to restore, etc. I tried the obvious stuff like malwarebyte, hitman, spybot, adaware, antivir full scan and such. Nothing works. I've never tried using hijackthis or one of these forums, so I decided to try it.

Second problem - I decided that with this happening, I wanted to get a new drive anyway, even if the old drive gets fixed (I'd use it as a storage disc). So I bought a 500gb SATA, installed it, put it as my primary boot, and installed Vista from disc. Everything went smoothly and Windows started up. Very quickly, I noticed that Vista wasn't detecting ANY of the hardware such as the video card, ethernet, soundcard, etc. I asked Windows to look for new hardware in device manager to no avail. I restarted to see if anything changed, but alas, it didn't, so I changed back my old HD to the primary boot and am using that again.

I can't understand what's going on. I only have one copy of windows, and have it installed on both, but I didn't think that would be a problem. I didn't authenticate it on the new system yet. When I'm on my old one like now, everything's fine and detected (in some cases not working because the virus thing, but they're recognized).

I'm stumped, and would really, really appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Edited by KelanKrowli, 14 August 2010 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Does system employ restore/recovery partition?

Are your disks recovery/restore types from an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.)?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users