Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2x1GB being recognized as 2X512MB

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DukeJP2010

DukeJP2010

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hello,

When I look at the Crucial Memory Scanner, it tells me that I have 2x1GB installed. However, CPU-Z says that I have 2x512MB installed. However, looking in the CPU-Z file, you can find this:

DMI Memory Module
designation A0
size 1024 MBytes (double bank)

DMI Memory Module
designation A1
size 1024 MBytes (double bank)

Supporting the fact that I do have 2x1GB installed. The BIOS and my OS both report 1GB total.

Looking closer at the crucial memory scanner, it says "Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*"

Could it be that my motherboard has 1GB in each of 2 slots, but can only use 512MB of each?

Attached is the long CPU-Z log.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: the computer is either ibuypower or cyberpower.

Attached Files

Edited by DukeJP2010, 14 August 2010 - 04:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

In the screen...what is reflected for Total Physical Memory?

There's no need to rely on outside input to see such, no mystery.

Louis

#3 DukeJP2010

DukeJP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thank you for your help.

msinfo32 reported what my OS reports, which is the 1GB.

Here is the main screen:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name zzzzzzzzzzz
System Manufacturer NVIDIA
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2010 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 5/2/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"
User Name zzzzzzzzzz
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,023.38 MB
Available Physical Memory 406.21 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.44 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 1.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Any other software that you recommend to get the memory information?

thank again for your help.

Edited by DukeJP2010, 14 August 2010 - 05:57 PM.

#4 DukeJP2010

DukeJP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Sorry for the hassle, but I just did what I should have done before posting!

I removed the RAM and they were each labeled 512 MB (my computer is made by cyberpower, I discovered).

Now for the real question:

I want to upgrade my ram. Can I buy 4x1GB or for some reason is my MB limited to 512MB per slot as crucial reports? I would like to know before I buy.

Thank you!

EDIT:
I am looking at this: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=80097-81
The specs seem to match up with what my motherboard can take, but I am having a hard time verifying what my mother board actually is. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edited by DukeJP2010, 14 August 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

in cpu-z go to the motherboard section and get the model #, and maker of the motherboard and post it or google search it, for info on board.
is ther four memory slots on the board ,it is quite possible that it only take 512 per slot as crucial reports

Edited by caperjac, 14 August 2010 - 06:44 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 DukeJP2010

DukeJP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

CPU-Z reports my motherboard as made by Gigabyte and the model as NF-CK804.

The Crucial Memory scanner reports it as made by EVGA and the model as nForce 4 SLI uATX (131-K8-NF44-AX).

Googling either of these gives a few retail sites, but no detailed specifications and no support (I am also looking for a bios update, since the bios hasn't been updated since 2005).

Does anyone know where i can find specifications, BIOS updates, and drivers for this motherboard?

Thank you!

EDIT: Visually, the motherboard appears to have 4 ram slots.

Edited by DukeJP2010, 14 August 2010 - 11:44 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:33 AM

,i don't find much when googling that model .
when in dough i usually go inside the tower and look for model # either written on the motherboard ,also sometimes on a sticker where the mouse keyboard connect to the motherboard .
as for bios upgrade if it aint broke don't fix it ,unless you have an issue that a update fixes leave it alone ,that would be risky unless you now for sure the make and model and you get the updated from the makers website .is you computer a brand computer like Dell.Compaq or HP ,Acer, if so what make and model#

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

A 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not show the total amount because of the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

If this is a 64 bit operating system, then the limit is what the motherboard will support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

To see what board your current system has...go back to msinfo32 and look at what is listed for System Manufacturer and System Model. System Manufacturer should be the manufacturer of the board, System Model should be model designation.

Louis

#10 DukeJP2010

DukeJP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

The windows version is "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)" so yes, it is a 64bit OS with a 64bit processor as well (AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+).

Next time I am at that computer I will open it up again to see what is printed on it as well as check msinfo32.

#11 DukeJP2010

DukeJP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

To see what board your current system has...go back to msinfo32 and look at what is listed for System Manufacturer and System Model. System Manufacturer should be the manufacturer of the board, System Model should be model designation.

Louis

The results are as follows:
System Manufacturer NVIDIA
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type x64-based PC

So no help there.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

OK...you can always open the case, if it's a desktop...and look at the motherboard itself.

As for BIOS updates...if the system is running well and you have no reason to look for a BIOS update...don't. Updating a BIOS should be...when there is something to be gained by such, there's always something to lose when doing such.

The NF-CK804 board...seems to have been sold by various board manufacturers.

Louis

#13 DukeJP2010

DukeJP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

EDIT: I have determined that the motherboard is exactly this: "GA-K8NF-9 (rev. 1.x)" and I have successfully flashed the BIOS to the next-to-latest version (the latest version disables PCI prefetch because nVidia infringed on a patent). And I may or may not purchase some DDR400 RAM if I come across some cheap. Does anyone know where to get this old ram for cheap?

I opened it up. Printed on the center of the board it says
"GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9"

Searching that on the Gigabyte website gives 5 results:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/...kw=K8NF&ck=

Is there any way to tell which one is mine?

Regardless, they all say this under memory:

1. Type: Dual channel DDR400/ 333/ 266 -184pin
2. Max capacity: Up to 4GB by 4 DIMM slots

So I guess that solves the memory question for good. Anyone know where I can get cheap DDR400 memory these days? It seems to be quite expensive. Newegg has it for $39 per 1GB. Can I keep the 2 sticks of 512 I have and add on two 1GB?

I am still interested in a bios update for several reasons. First, I had an issue where after transporting my computer once, my motherboard would not detect my hard drive through IDE, and the only way I could boot up is if I set it up as a RAID... of just one hard drive. (EDIT: holy crap, I just fixed this! All I needed to do was disable RAID in the BIOS) Secondly, some of the updates mention "Update CPU microcode" which I am sure would apply to everyone with that motherboard. How can I find which of these 5 boards in the search is mine so I can update the BIOS?

Thank you for your continued help!

Edited by DukeJP2010, 22 August 2010 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users