Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display properties messed up during virus removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bondgrl63

bondgrl63

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

I just successfully completed removing the MEBROOT toolkit virus with the help of your site, but during the process, my display properties were messed up and I can't fix them.

Here is the thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic336252-15.html

I removed several programs, including the following,

Adobe Reader 9.3.2
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java™ 6 Update 2
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.17)<- reinstall after malwarebytes

I uninstalled these using Revo Uninstaller, which removes additional files and registry entries leftover after the usual uninstall, and when I re-started the PC, the display had a poor quality appearance (fuzzy and stretched sideways), as if the display settings were off, or it was in safe mode. I restarted it again to make sure that it wasn't in safe mode, but it bypassed that screen.

I opened Display Properties and it showed:
Screen resolution at max: 1024 x 768
Color quality: Highest (32 bit)

I went into the advanced options under the adapter and tried all options, but nothing was good. I tried the troubleshooter and received following message:

Troubleshooter for Display Properties:

Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running.
To fix this problem, start the service named "Help and Support"

Gringo advised me to open a thread in this forum for assistance in fixing the display.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

Forget Help & Support for the time being.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Click on the video drivers and uninstall them. Reboot the system.

Reinstall the video drivers that came on the disk for your system, motherboard, or installed video card.

Louis

#3 bondgrl63

bondgrl63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

Any advice for determining which (out of the many stacks of disks from multiple computers) belong to this one??

Anyway to see (before I delete anything) what the files/drivers/motherboards are?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Sorry...I cannot see what you can see.

I can't tell you how to filter through something I cannot envision.

Your system has a manufacturer and a model number...I would imagine that the disks for drivers would come from that manufacturer.

If you tell us the manufacturer and model number...we may be able to find the drivers at the manufacturer's website.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users