Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix is hanging (24+hours)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 calgaryman

calgaryman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

Hi can you help me with my ComboFix / slow computer problem

I have run ComboFix on 3 previous occasions without any issues (my friends suggested it about 6months ago).

I was on the net researching White Blood Cell count - because my infant daughter has a bad heart condition

1. I went to a site that said "Mayo Clinic" and it immediately - started running "AntiMalware Doctor"
2. I hit ctrl/alt/del and ended task
3. my "webroot" program blocked the program and asked me to scan
4. when I went into "Webroot" to do an update before scanning - Webroot told me there was a new version available
5. Webroot went right to the download site and I clicked (this was definately webroot)
6. I downloaded Webroot 2011 (took about an hour+)
7. I did a complete "Scan" with Webroot
8. After the scan my computer was still running very slow (3min to load a simple word document) and yet surfing the internet was fine
9. Ran ComboFix (big mistake) - it has been running for 24+ hours and here is where it is at right now

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Scanning for infected files . . .
This typically doesn't take more than 10 minutes
Hoewever, scan times for badly infected machines may easily double
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. I was going to end task - but, then found your website that tells me what an Idiot I have been for even using this program
without your help - I am truly sorry that I ran ComboFix and honestly need some good direction as my computer is part of my work.

11. I noticed that "AntiMalware Doctor" is still on my computer and "webroot" did not remove it.

Thankyou in advance - I will leave the computer running until I hear from you - ps. I have important files that I have not backed up since Aug 1 - as I usually do that in the month end stuff - should I do that first? before we do anything?

thanks in advance

Mike in Calgary AB Canada

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hi Mike:

There is a BC removal guide here that might help you. I don't see anything that warns against backing up documents and photos.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...imalware-doctor

#3 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hi there - my only "major" concern before I start messing with "AntiMalware Doctor" is doing that before I deal with the
fact that "ComboFix" is still running on my computer and I heard that "end task" may corrupt system files or worse
require me to complete wipe the hardrive - which is on my list LAST possible fix......lol

QUOTE(Blathnat @ Aug 14 2010, 02:27 PM) View Post
Hi Mike:

There is a BC removal guide here that might help you. I don't see anything that warns against backing up documents and photos.

#4 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hi There - thanks again for you advice

Just an update - it has been 48 hours - and the task is still running and no change (I have yet to receive a message "not responding").

Just a question - are you the person that was assigned to this problem or am I still in a queue and it will be a while?

thanks again

Mike

QUOTE(Blathnat @ Aug 14 2010, 02:27 PM) View Post
Hi Mike:

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hello calgaryman,

Just a question - are you the person that was assigned to this problem . . .

No, Blathnat is not. Please read this topic for information about posting and responding in AII:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

I have contacted appropriate staff about your topic so you can receive assistance.

Orange Blossom fruits_cherry.gif
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Just an update - it has been 48 hours - and the task is still running and no change (I have yet to receive a message "not responding").
I suggest you turn it off through Task Manager. This usually should not cause any problems. In case thats not possible, just restart your computer.

When done, I would like to know what other problems you are still having.

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hi Thanks for all you help and again - I apologize about the ComboFix thing; as I should have
researched the file my friend sent me before using it.

So, here is what I have done so far

1. backup done
2. used the tools for increasing browswer/computer faster, but am stuck
on running - "sfc /scannow" as my laptop was loaded with Windows XP - I followed
the link and it told me to point my computer to the "i386" folder on my laptop
to fix the corrupt files (which I guess I have corrupt files). Unfortunately, I have
4 folders that are named "i386" and I am not sure which one I am supposed
to point to?

Can you help me with this?

Here are the folders that "i386" is in
C:\ef69cab1cd5a055feab6919cab3e9345
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache

3. I have an account
4. chg'd email notification
5. HAVE NOT - set up firewall - will do once through step2
6. HAVE NOT - disabled CD emulation software - will do once through step2

Thanks again for all your help - ps. I tried to stop the "AutoScan" and it wouldn't

I am afraid to shut off the computer - as I don't want my day to get worse just yet..... and
things are running; albeit very slow....lol

Mike

QUOTE(Orange Blossom @ Aug 15 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
Hello calgaryman,

Just a question - are you the person that was assigned to this problem . . .

No, Blathnat is not. Please read this topic for information about posting and responding in AII:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

I have contacted appropriate staff about your topic so you can receive assistance.

Orange Blossom fruits_cherry.gif

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hello again, lets leave out the SFC for now, since slowness can be caused to many things and running SFC from the i386 folder is not likely to improve things.

MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE
-------------------------------------------
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#9 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

Hi again, and thanks for your help

I am just starting to go through the procedures you have recommended - thanks

here is an update of things that are happening:

1. my webroot keeps on blocking access by Z0G7YA1IO.COM
2. my computer wouldn't let me go to MicroSoft update
3. when my computer booted - I received the following message

Boottime Defrag
Error at Stage 2 (61%)
Oxc0000005
Unhandled Exception

Thanks Again,

Mike

QUOTE(elise025 @ Aug 16 2010, 11:18 AM) View Post
Hello again, lets leave out the SFC for now, since slowness can be caused to many things and running SFC from the i386 folder is not likely to improve things.

MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#10 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Hi Again,

Here is the log that you asked me to save and post here

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4437

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

16/08/2010 2:17:42 PM
mbam-log-2010-08-16 (14-17-42).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 180346
Time elapsed: 40 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 7

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B257C047-C691-414D-B0B3-DCA4C4476D9D}\RP677\A0125408.sys (Trojan.Agent.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\ComboFix\Combo-Fix.sys (Trojan.Agent.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\temp\12.tmp (Rootkit.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\temp\13.tmp (Rootkit.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\temp\14.tmp (Rootkit.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Antimalware Doctor.lnk (Rogue.AntimalwareDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Antimalware Doctor.lnk (Rogue.AntiMalwareDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE

• Then click Finish.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Exit MBAM when done.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

If you connect to the internet through a router, please reset it.

Click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.

Click the Connections tab and click there the LAN settings button.

Make sure Use A Proxy... is UNchecked and click OK and OK to exit.

Let me know if these steps fixed the issue.

regards, Elise

#12 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hi Again,

That seems to have sped things up by about 50+%

here is some of the stuff I am seeing.....

1. a "thumbs" file showed up on my desktop
2. in the "startmenu" there is a new file that says "Loader" - it is a .jar file
3. "AntiMalware Doctor" is still showing up on my computer

Dont know if that gives you any further info.

Thanks for all your help

Mike

----------------------------------

MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE

• Then click Finish.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Exit MBAM when done.

#13 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

Just doing the router thing now - will shut down computer and reboot from start

thanks

Mike

QUOTE(elise025 @ Aug 16 2010, 02:46 PM) View Post

#14 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

Hi Elise,

Thanks for the help

The box was unchecked prior to rebooting (the computer and the router)
I rebooted (computer and router) and it was still unchecked; so, no change - all good
The computer is still only running at about 80% of where it was before the problem on Thursday (maybe reinstall webroot?).

I am going to get back to working through all the tweeks in #2 and if you have any other advice
it would be appreciated

Getting back to that "i386" thing for the "sfc /scannow"

should I make a disk with all those files on it and which folder is the one I copy or use? (should I fix the corrupt files?)
secondly, I have never made a startup/boot disk since I bought the computer (oops) and I saw that the
Sandi girl from Microsoft recommends one (one of BC links).

I really super appreciate all of the help and I hope that where ever you are - you can atleast be enjoying
some of the remaining sunshine of the summer before it goes bye/bye........ thumbup2.gif

Cause - where I live; in 3 weeks we will be getting colder and in 8 weeks the snow will surely start to fall and it will be COLD.....

Ciao,

Mike from Calgary AB Canada

#15 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hi Elise,

My computer has crashed 3 times since this afternoon and it just crashed again - the physical laptop seems very hot (on fire) which has never
been an issue before - and it seems that the computer is way noisier than usual - like something is running hard; very irritating......it is constant high
pitch like a car revv'g

thanks

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users