Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't browse Internet-Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kewpy

Kewpy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

Vista Home Premium 64 Bit edition.

I'm connected ok to the internet (can ping Yahoo from command promt), but none of the browsers will load a page. (IE8, Firefox, Google Chrome)
Latest Windows updates just downloaded and installed ok as well. (Use proxy NOT enabled in IE8)

Done lots of reading, tried a lot of DOS commands to reset TCP/IP, flush DNS, Clear catalog etc. but still not working.

Ran MBAM in Safe mode, as well as ESET online scanner and Spybot S & D, also used Norton and McAfee clean up tools (had trial edition of Norton when new)

Also did a "Clean Boot" in normal mode. (disabled all but MS services, disabled ALL start up items), still no good. Also disabled Windows firewall.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sevard

Sevard

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

Check if address http://208.43.87.2 (it's BC IP address) works. Maybe there are some problems with DNS servers.
Do you have firewall?
You may also scan your system with SUPERAntispyware Free, but in my opinion it isn't malware problem.

#3 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Tried address http://208.43.87.2 as you requested, but no different.
Firewall is currently "OFF"
I forgot to mention that I also scanned and cleaned with SUPERANTISPYWARE Free.

I had also posted this problem in the Web browsing/E-mail section of the forums, but didn't get any responses.

Edited by Kewpy, 14 August 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#4 Sevard

Sevard

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

Did any of antimalware/antispyware/antivirus tool found something?
We will check if something is blocking only port 80 or also others ports that are used by web browsers. Check if address http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080/ (FreeBSD torrent tracker site) works.
Sometimes antivirus blocks internet. Can you turn it off for a while?

Edited by Sevard, 14 August 2010 - 06:43 PM.

#5 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Yes, each of the AntiVirus and AntiMalware programs found stuff, but nothing major that I know of.
I tried the Web address you gave, both in IE8 and Firefox, but still nothing.
I've uninstalled the McAffee AntiVirus and Security, and used the McAfee "clean up" tool, as well as Norton Clean up tool

Also, remember system is currently in "Clean Boot". (all services OFF, except MS services and NOTHING loading at startup-via MSCONFIG)

Also, I had attempted to duplicate same services OFF in normal mode as I saw OFF in SAFE mode, but was not successful.

Thank you.

#6 Sevard

Sevard

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Then I don't know any noninvasive method which may help. I think you should create new topic in this forum and give there link to this topic.

#7 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Moderators: Should I re-post in another area of the forum?

#8 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Moderators:
Please close topic - not malware related at all!

This PC (a customer's) apparently had AOL Parental Controls, which the customer had tried to remove. The systray icon was gone, but still was locking out Web browsing.

I stumbled on what was left of it in a folder, repaired it, and now web browsing is back.

Thank you. (And thank you Sevard for your suggestions)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users