Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High ping and varied down/up speeds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 the trooper2

the trooper2

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hi
I'm using a dlink DIR 655 router and using wireless on my laptop. My ping for some reason is ridiculously high, I have no idea how to reduce it and it's really causing a problem while gaming. My download and upload speeds are also playing up, my internet is 10mb broadband but one minute i'll have 10mb down and 0.40 up and then it will go to 1 up and 0.9 down. It's really temperamental and really getting on my nerves.

Here's a couple of speedtests I just ran; my speed was 6mb down and 0.40 up just 20 minutes ago

Posted Image
Posted Image

Any help in solving these issues would be great.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Go to http://pingtest.net and post your results. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 the trooper2

the trooper2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Posted Image

Now that is VERY interesting, i've done loads of pingtests before in the past and they've always been 500ms +

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

Yes but what servers were they on? Also I would run 2 test right after the first to see if it differs. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 the trooper2

the trooper2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

I've always run tests on the same server. I wish my down and up would sort them selves out as youtube vidoes are loading at a snails pace.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

If your speed is always jumping up and down I would call my ISP and complain, I suggest that you do the same. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Just had another idea,, take your laptop and set it right next to the wireless router and see what your speed is. You may have a similar issue as I had a while back with interference from something, try that and then if that does nothing call your ISP. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#8 the trooper2

the trooper2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

My router is already right next to my laptop. I'll make sure to phone my isp up.
Thanks for the help.

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

You are very welcome. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users