Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot XP mup.sys error?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trintax

trintax

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi: I'm running an HP with XP Media and recently encountered the infamous mup.sys error. We have not loaded any new hardware or software, so nothing should have changed, but now cannot boot. Safe Mode shows the last driver loaded to be mup.sys. I've searched the internet and see hundreds of potential solutions, but none have worked. Tried moving and reseating memory, unplugging devices, resetting BIOS, etc. I do not have my OS discs, but did use Recovery Mode to restore the OS from Recovery. One option I read about is to 'disable mup' or 'disable mup.sys' via a DOS command in Recovery Mode. This tells me it's not a recognized command. Many posts also say mup.sys is not the problem, it was the last successfully loaded driver. Searching for clues!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Tried running chkdsk /r command yet?

Ran a diagnostic of your hard drive yet?

FWIW: From what I know, mup.sys is not the problem...it just happens to be the scene of the crime, IMO.

IF you did a Restore/Recovery operation and still have the problem with a new install...my money would be on hardware.

Louis

#3 trintax

trintax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

I ran chkdsk but not w the /r I can try that. Any other disk checks to run?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Chkdsk is not a hard drive diagnostic. It's a Windows tool designed to try to overcome certain file, file system, and hard drive situations which might impact the system.

Yes, run chkdsk /r. It's about the only tool which may provide clues as to file system problems.

Please read the link above...before attempting to run the hard drive diagnostic. When you do so, elect to run the long test (not the short diagnostic).

Some utilities are in .iso format and must be burned to CD before they are useable, How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/.

Louis

#5 trintax

trintax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

I tried to run a CHKDSK /R but it said the file was NTFS and in use. It offered to do the check on the next startup, which I tried, but apparently it doesn't get far enough to do the check. I did find a SMART Disk Check utility in the BIOS setup, and I ran a Quick check and Extensive check. This took over an hour and it found no problems.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

To be honest...I'm out of ideas.

The chkdsk /r command normally cannot run on the Windows partition...as long as you are in Windows. It's normal for it to present the screen indicating that it will run on the next boot.

If that doesn't happen...something is amiss with the drive or the NTFS partition.

Did you get an error message from chkdsk /r when it failed to run?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users