Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira and Spyware Doctor Together?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1Kevin

1Kevin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Hello everyone...awesome site. I've been poking around here for several weeks now, and I can't tell you how much valuable information I've picked up about products and practices.

Recently, I switched my anti-virus from the free (Comcast) version of Norton to the free version of Avira. Also, I downloaded Spyware Doctor with Anti-virus, and Super Anti Spyware. Once I had everything downloaded and ready to go, I noticed that Spyware Dr. was actually Spyware Dr. with Anti-virus.

Are Avira and Spyware Dr. w Anti-virus compatible with each other? And if not, which should I keep?

Thank you all for your valuable time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Running 2 AV's at the same time will give you grief. I'd suggest removing Doctor. Then use an Anti malware with your AV. Free also,MBAM.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Good thing you mentioned that. I've heard that Spyware doctor's a pain in the butt of everyone who uses it. The only one I know of who loves that program is Matt Rizos, and I think that's only because he never screws up on anything in terms of security. I think that even I'd break something with that thing.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 1Kevin

1Kevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Thank you both for your opinions. I have deleted Spyware Doctor w AV based on your recommendations. I apologize for not responding sooner, but my job keeps me away from home a good deal of the time.

Another question I had...

I was noticing that when a download is recommended here, you often indicate downloading to desktop. This leaves me with a desktop icon for the .exe files, as well as the program. In the past, I was just deleting the icon for the .exe files after I installed the program. Is this ok, or should I leave them on my desktop?

Thanks again.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

I was noticing that when a download is recommended here, you often indicate downloading to desktop. This leaves me with a desktop icon for the .exe files, as well as the program. In the past, I was just deleting the icon for the .exe files after I installed the program. Is this ok, or should I leave them on my desktop?

You can delete them.

We usually do this as its easier for most users to find the installation file on the desktop...however, some specialized tools we use requires placement on the desktop to work properly.

You could also create a new folder named Security tools and move them there. That way in case you need to reinstall or put on another computer, you will not need to redownload unless the program has been updated.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 1Kevin

1Kevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Thanks, quietman. You've all built a phenomenal source of information.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

I have been using Avira and Spware Doctor together for years and have never found a better combination for me. The two work well together.I've used Avira Pemium and Free,both are good,and I use Spyware Doctor(Paid,not free).
Been disabled and stuck at home for years I've had lots of time to test most anti-malware,and as far as anti-spyware nothing comes close to S.D.,it also finds viruses and trojans as well as any anti-virus. I do not use "S.D. wiith Anti-virus".
Honestly I don't find any of the free anti-spyware out there today very good,mostly laughable,only capable of finding tracking cookies etc.
By the way,you can download a good working version of Spyware Doctor for free :thumbsup: ,do a Google search for "Spyware Doctor 6 Starter Edition". It has live time scanners and autoupdates and works very well,still a good spyware virus/trojan killer.(It's an older version) The new free trial versions of S.D. will only scan,not remove,so they are useless,you must pay,but it's worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users