Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HELP] Switch back to windows Vista?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

I recently switched to ubuntu 10.04 from windows vista to fix my computer and thankfully it worked. But even though it worked, ubuntu just isn't right for me. Do I use my product registration key to get a full windows vista download off the internet? Or do I have to pay for another disc. I also found somewhere that I could put in my original ubuntu 10.04 installation disc, delete all the partitions, and then put in a windows vista recovery disc. Would that work? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

Do you have your original vista install disc that came with the pc? or did it not come with one, if it did not come with one you will most likely need to buy a new install disc from the manufacturer of the machine. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

How much is the disc? And it's called an installation disc, not a recovery disc, right?

Edited by Billybobjoebob, 14 August 2010 - 06:05 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

what is the make and model of your computer? :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 I.hate.doze

I.hate.doze

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:16 AM

Did you delete your Vista recovery partition? If so, you'll need an installation disk. If not, just delete the Linux partitions and boot the Vista recovery partition. One way or another, you'll have to delete the Linux partitions.

If you need an installation disk and have the product key, Vista can be downloaded (for free) on the internet. But I didn't tell you that. ;)

Edited by I.hate.doze, 17 August 2010 - 01:20 AM.

#6 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

it's an acer aspire 5315 series, and it originally came with windows vista.

#7 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

Just to clarify, Ubuntu 10.04 creates EXT4 partitions to install itself. Windows can not read EXT4 partitions and will therefore complain that the disk is unusable. So after you delete Ubuntu, you will have to also delete the partitions. You can use the live CD that you used to install Ubuntu to do that. Just boot up the live CD, go to System->Administration->gparted and delete all the partitions on the disk. Your Windows installation disk will now recognize the disk and create its own partitions.

#8 VKing1

VKing1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

I have another suggestion, you can have your system as dual boot, i.e. have both Vista and Linux available at the same time; all you need to do is choose which system you want to use when booting up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users