Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB FOR External HardDrive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Magenta Queen

Magenta Queen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:09 AM

I bought this external harddrive from Best Buy maybe 1 year and 1/2 ago, and the usb I have it in picked right up on it and I was able to backup and restore. But then I had a crash on my 2005 windows media center xp 2600 service pack 2 (updated to 3) and I restored everything with no problem on my computer but I can't get this USB to recognize the external harddrive for nothing, well no I take that back. I used this tool and it showed it plugged in but everything that should be 'enabled' says no and this program won't let me edit it and it lets you go to the Registry but I still can't get it to work and its on? Plugged in, light on and etc.? :thumbsup: Does anyone know what the heck I need to do to get this to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hello...
have you try attached your external drive on another computer???
if not...please try it...just to make sure your external drive is okay or not...
if not detected...please try using another USB port / USB cable...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

If the hdd and the cable are working properly, try doing the following.

There is a common problem associated with USB ports where devices are frequently plugged and unplugged, or unplugged without being properly stopped. For some reason the Selective Suspend feature in the registry will turn off the power to the USB hub which results in making the USB hub/s inoperable.

One way to try to restore this is to open the Device Manager and right click on the device tree and select Scan for New Hardware to force a bus reset.

If this fails to work, there is another way to work around this and keep this from happening again in the future, and that is to disable the Selective Suspend feature. The Selective Suspend is not a critical feature and usually will not effect normal operations after it is disabled.

This procedure involves making a change in the registry, if mistakes are made following the instructions the registry can be damaged which can result in the computer becoming inoperable. For this reason, you should beck up your registry before making any changes.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users