Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Video Limitations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jon51

jon51

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

I had a co-worker ask me today if an integrated graphics chip would be able to run a 32" TV as a monitor. She would be watching Netflix videos, basic internet, and probably DVD movies. She does not play games.

Would a standard onboard video chip be able to handle this or should she spring for at least a budget video card solution?

If an actual graphics card is needed what would you guys suggest for just these basic needs.

Thanks

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

If you could answer the questions as followed it would be much easier to pinpoint what she needs.

1. Does her tv have a vga (the same cable used for onboard video) input?
2. Is it a flat screen t.v.?
3. If she decides to purchase a video, we need to know what kind of card her motherboard supports. The standard formats are....AGP, PCI-express, or PCI.

Technically speaking it is possible to hook your pc direct to your t.v. through onboard video, but I'm not a big fan of it. To simply put it, if your resolution settings on your pc
are set too high for the t.v. then you won't have any picture. This is why it's advantageous to use a video card because then through the settings you can fine tune the resolution for the t.v. while
in your os, and you can also dual screen. My advice is to find out what her motherboard supports as far as video cards, and then I'll suggest an effective card for the job.

There's many different ways to hook up a pc to a tv, it's just finding the right process that works for you.
Hope this helps, and I'll try to reply back a.s.a.p.

#3 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

I don't think she has either of them picked out yet. I know she doesn't have a desktop computer yet. I'm not exactly sure what type of TV is. I would assume its a newer flat screen at least 720p. (can you even buy anything else these days?)

So I can't really give too many details because she just asked me in passing.

I just knew that onboard drivers can be finicky about resolution options so that is why I wasn't sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users