Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boots in Safe Mode then OK

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FunkusMunkus

FunkusMunkus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hi, i recently bought a system second hand, which worked ok for a while. About a month ago, it started having problems if I had a couple of things open (e.g. Firefox, notepad and My Documents) I would start 'remembering' whatever was open even if I closed it , it would still show on the screen even if the file or aplication was closed. When that happens windows explorer disappears.
A few days ago, my system would only boot into safe mode, however once it was up and running if I restarted it, it would boot normally. Now this happens every day - it's will boot normally after a boot into safe mode. I have tried restoring to a previous state but no luck.
I have Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware and the systems clean and I run my browser Sandboxed with Sandboxie.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Sorry, no error messages received>

System Information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: K7S5A
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1295 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Memory: 384 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer; Version = "5.1.2600.2180

Edited by FunkusMunkus, 14 August 2010 - 10:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

Error messages?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Try running Chkdsk.

How to run chkdsk from My Computer

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users