Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning to upgrade, how do I know what's compatible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 insaneTJ

insaneTJ

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

I'm deciding whether it's better for me to upgrade or just start from scratch. I'm just not sure what is compatible with my current setup, I am running Win XP home edition with SP3. I believe currently I have integrated graphics and not sure if it's possible to install a video card with my motherboard. Here are some specs I was able to acquire

Board: KM266-8235

Processor
1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded
Socket A (462)
Code Name Palomino

Right now my priority is upgrading the hard drive, I'm looking at a 500gb 7200rpm I'm just not sure what type I would need. A video card would be nice, but it's not too important and I don't need anything high end. I mainly play some older PC games but if I could get something cheap that could run some current games fine, then that would be cool. Any help would be appreciated and if it would make it easier for me to take pictures of my computer then just let me know and I'll take some.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

I wish I could tell you something positive. That is an old system to be putting any money into.

As far as hard drives you will need a PATA http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

Videocards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=50

The problem is any money you put into this is a dead end. The hard drive cannot be carried over to a new SATA board. The AGP videocard cannot be used on a new board either. The current CPU is another problem. It is 3 generations old and really doesn't have the horsepower for newer games.

EDIT for spelling.

Edited by dpunisher, 13 August 2010 - 07:41 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 insaneTJ

insaneTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

That's pretty much what I was expecting and not really planning on upgrading after this. I mostly play consoles and the PC games I do play are at least 5 years old, just some old games I remember playing on a friends computer and are now cheap to buy. Thank you though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users