Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Click on Desktop Icons After Closing IE8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hnsi

hnsi

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

The original problem is that when I got my laptop I used the icon that just said "Internet Explorer" had no issues for about a month or so. Then I noticed that once I clicked on Internet Explorer and surfed the internet it was all ok . . . UNTIL I would close the original window that Internet Explorer opened.

Once I close that window, then hovering over desktop icons with my mouse pointer would not highlight any icon and I also could not click on any Desktop icon at all. I could click on items in the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop screen, but not on any desktop icons.

The problem would correct itself after a re-start of the computer or if I cleared the desktop by going into the Task Manager and stopping the process "explorer.exe", then I could go to Start, then Run and run "explorer.exe" to refresh the desktop items. After doing that or re-starting the computer all would be good again until I opened Internet Explorer and then closed the original window.

So, once I realized the issue was with Internet Explorer, I was looking through my list of programs under Start, then All Programs, I noticed something I have not noticed before. In the list of Programs there is an "Internet Explorer" and a separate program "Internet Explorer 64-bit". I do not expereince the problem if I use the "nternet Explorer 64-bit". I only have the problem using the one labelled "Internet Explorer".

With my limited computer knowledge, I assumed that one is a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer and the other is a 32-bit version of Internet Explorer. I know that 64-bit Operating Systems can run 32-bit applications.

I hope that all makes sense.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

See this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 hnsi

hnsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

I have now noticed that if I open the 32-bit Internet Explorer8, it starts a Process named "iexplorer.exe *32" in the Task Manager (which is normal), and to be clear it starts 2 of those processes. However, the problem is that once I close the Internet Explorer window, the "iexplorer.exe *32" does not end in the Task Manager. Normally it should end once the IE8 window is closed.

#4 hnsi

hnsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:08 AM

Apparently the culprit was the Google Toolbar. I uninstalled it (disabling it wont work) and all is back to normal!!!

Thanks everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users