Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NicoleKeeler

NicoleKeeler

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

So basically I have gone crazy :huh: . This computer has sort of been giving me trouble since the day I bought it. Its not even a year old!! I got it from BestBuy, it is a ASUS K501, Windows 7. I just recently updated all the windows 7 crap thinking that it would help. I use CCleaner about twice a week, and have AVG as my virus protector.
So here is the problem: Internet explorer does not respond. Sometimes it happens by the next page I visit, or sometimes it will happen after a few minutes. And when the internet doesnt respond, I click on, say.. Windows Movie Maker, and then it dosnt respond.

PS I am very computer illiterate when it comes to fancy fixings, so if anyone can help me, please know that I am not acting dumb, I just am dumb. :huh:
do what you do baby!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

if you press ctrl shift esc it should bring up the task manager. If it doesn't respond don't keep doing it, just wait for it to pop up. When it does, click the processes tab and see if any program has a number for memory or cpu that is much higher than everything else. Check this out too: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

good luck, try not to go crazy, it's just metal sand and plastic :huh:

Edited by thrillhouse, 13 August 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Download MSE<--- 'free' Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Now, using this tool To fully remove AVG please try to use this remover utility:
http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avgremover_en.exe

Reboot, and run a full scan with MSE. AVG has too many 'issues' with Internet web pages. :huh:

Also, make sure Windows Update is working, and you have all recommended updates.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

First off, many people, including myself, don't recommend CCleaner. Even if you don't use it for the registry cleaner, it's just not a very good idea.

Other than that... Just listen to Jacee. ;)

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Also...

This computer has sort of been giving me trouble since the day I bought it

Why didn't you return it?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 NicoleKeeler

NicoleKeeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

I did return the original one, this is the second one. It wasnt this bad earlier. In fact, it has its good days and then it has its bad. Its been having bad days for the past month though. BestBuy only gives a 14 day return policy I believe on computers.

So I tried to uninstall AVG with that program, but i dont think that it worked.... ARGH!!! The rage is building! and I cant afford to give it the fist.
do what you do baby!

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

So I tried to uninstall AVG with that program, but i dont think that it worked

Explain, please.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 NicoleKeeler

NicoleKeeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:25 AM

Ok, so I downloaded the AVG remover, and then I downloaded the new one. Did a full run of files and am waiting to see what happens. I am scared that it will freeze at any moment.... thank you for the advice!!! jacee!!
do what you do baby!

#9 IanGR

IanGR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

:huh: Hi there, if it's something simple try the Microsoft "FIXIT CENTER" download and run, easy to do and will auto fix things.

http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal/

After that go to Windows 7 Tutorials and have a good look around surprising how easy somethings are to do and you could learn a lot about basic maintenance of your computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/

Oh! I've run "CCleaner" with no problems..

good luck and DON'T PANIC !! :huh:

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:56 AM

Oh! I've run "CCleaner" with no problems..

We do not recommend the use of CCleaner since it includes also a registry cleaner.

I don't personally recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners for several reasons.

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

I downloaded the AVG remover, and then I downloaded the new one

If AVG seems to give you problems, uninstall it with AVG Remover and switch to something else:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira..._antivirus.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

I don't understand. After removing the problem (AVG). Download the problem (AVG). I would remove the (AVG) and install what has been suggested by Jacee and Broni. Pick one, just one. At first use it in what every it's default is. Next check to make sure that Windows 7 firewall in on. It should be but it doesn't hurt to check.

#13 IanGR

IanGR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

:huh: So if CCleaner is not such a good idea "you don't have to press the registry clean button"
what or how would you recommend as an easy way of cleaning out the junk files etc. That these sort of utilities claim to do?
Strictly for the non computer whizz kids. :huh:

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

I would recommend either ATF cleaner (XP only), or TFC (Temp File Cleaner, all windows versions, 32 bit and 64 bit). ATF cleaner cleans also browser data, whereas TFC strictly tempfiles.

ATF Cleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link
  • Close all open browsers before using, especially FireFox. <-Important!!!
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Notes: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty Temp, ATF-Cleaner must be Run As Administrator.
The Prefetch cleaning feature has been disabled for Vista Users. Tabs for applications that are not installed are grayed out.

TFC

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
(TFC only cleans temp folders. It will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies).
Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job.
Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine, if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

NOTE:
It's normal after running TFC cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#15 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

You'll be surprised how much TFC by OldTimer will find!

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users