Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I know I have a virus, but my (rubbish) anti-virus software disagrees.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jambocalum

jambocalum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Basically, earlier today I was happily surfin' the web, when my computer siezed up for a few seconds. A little while afterwards, my computer started to tell me it was infected, and begged me to perform a security scan with some suspect looking anti-virus software that I have never heard of. I can now longer open any program or application without a message telling me said program or application is infected, and telling me to perform a scan with the aforementioned anti-virus software.

Being the expert computer hacker that I am, I turned the computer off and on again, to find I can no longer get on any website other than *surprise* the anti-virus software website. All other websites will apparently "harm my computer". I can also no longer access my existing anti-virus software.

Luckily, all this trouble and strife was confined to my own user. I am currently using my parents' user.

Now I have a confession to make. Being from a frugal family in times of economic recession, our anti-virus software is "Microsoft Security Essentials", which we use as it is free. I performed a full scan using Security Essentials, which detected several threats and dealt with them swiftly as it has in the past. Thinking all my problems were over, I went back on to my user to find that nothing had changed, I was still basically unable to do anything; the problem remained.

It was this that made me suspect that "Microsoft Security Essentials" might not be the best anti-virus software in the world. After performing another full scan it maintained that everything was fine and dandy, when I was quite sure some kind of virus was attacking my computer.

Basically, is there an easy solution? I would love if one of you lovely folk comes along and gives me one. Or is it time to back up all my photos, music, files etc. and abandon ship. I would sincerely love to not have to fork out fifty quid for Norton or McAfee.

This horribly infected and diseased computer is an eMachines laptop with a Windows Vista operating system.

Any help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

Most antivirus software has problems with ths sort of malware whether free or paid. There may be a removal guide that can help if you recall the name of the rogue AV popup.

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi,

You might want to try running the free versions of SuperAntiSpyware (Run it in windows safe mode) and MalwareBytes Antimalware (run it in Windows normal mode). Both are available for free download from the FileHippo website.

Since your main computer is currently not letting you visit websites, you'll need to download SAS and MBAM on another, clean computer, and then transfer the files over. Please make sure to run the update feature of each program after installinig them, to make sure you have the latest anti-malware definitions installed.

These two on-demand scanners can clean up quite a few malware infections, and they are free, so you've got nothing to lose, and they should not interfere with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Then, if your computer is still not working properly, you can post a follow-uo message here requesting further assistance.

Best wishes.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 jambocalum

jambocalum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, its called Security Suite. I've seen mention of the "security suite virus" around this forum, i assume that is what I have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users