Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to REMOVE front Case Door?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stupid_idiot

stupid_idiot

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811156062
That is the one I own. Look Closely at IMAGE #4 on NewEgg's host

I HATE the door. always in the way and I just want to remove it ,not saw it off, but smartly remove the door.

Anyone ever done it with details and instructions on the web?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

Not much to go on with the pictures, how are the hinges attached?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

It looks like the front panel will have to come off, to be able to access the hinge pins from the back side.
If there isn't a bracket covering the pins, that can be removed, you might try a Dremel with a cut-off disk, and carefully cut the pins, from the back side.

Just a suggestion. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 stupid_idiot

stupid_idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

It looks like the front panel will have to come off, to be able to access the hinge pins from the back side.
If there isn't a bracket covering the pins, that can be removed, you might try a Dremel with a cut-off disk, and carefully cut the pins, from the back side.

Just a suggestion. :thumbsup:

It has 2 large wires going from the case Into the door if I didn't mention it yet. Complex more complex...

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

what are the wires attached to? If theyre LEDs, can the LEDs be removed, or, can you live without them? if so just cut them. If you need them, well you hate the door anyway, one you manage to find a way to remove the pins from the hinges just break the plastic case around the wires and extract the necessary hardware, and pull the excess wireing into the case.

As for the hinges I would follow TGs advice, if you cant cut the pins themselves, simply cut the entire hinge off, get it as flush as you can to the case, and then sand it down. You may even be able to find some touch up paint in the same color as your case and paint over the cut area so its not to noticible. Just a suggestion.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

Not having the case in hand, to see the exact setup, it's hard to figure out the best plan of attack, so these are just some options you may be able to use.

Wiring:
If it's possible, and you want to save the door/wiring intact, unplug from inside the case, then pull them out with the door.
If saving it intact is not a concern, the_patriot's option would be the easiest thing to do.

Hinges:
If cutting the pins with a Dremel/cutoff wheel won't work, try cutting the hinge itself.
By making 2 cuts, on each hinge, the hinge should be able to be removed, with minimal damage to the case:

Posted Image

Close the door, and make the cut shown by the red dotted line.
Do this to the top, and bottom hinge.
Then open the door, and make the same 2 cuts, on the inside.
This should allow the hinges to separate, into 2 individual pieces, for easy removal of the door, and hinge pieces.

If the hinges are plastic, I wouldn't use the cutoff wheel to make the whole cut, as it might cut into the case, depending on how much play there is between the hinge, and the case.
Instead, make most of the 2 cuts, on each hinge, with the cutoff wheel, leaving a little piece of each hinge intact, at the top, and the bottom.
After you have the front, and the back of both hinges cut this way, switch to an X-Acto knife.
Heat the blade over an open flame, and use that to make your final 8 cuts, being careful not to touch the case.

Posted Image

Do the bottom hinges first, so you will have the support of the top hinges, while doing your cuts.

I don't know if these options will be feasible, in your case, but without seeing the case, or having more information, that's the best I can do. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 stupid_idiot

stupid_idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

Not having the case in hand, to see the exact setup, it's hard to figure out the best plan of attack, so these are just some options you...

By Gosh!, thanks for the great details on this...printing it or at least arranging images.. :huh: :huh: :thumbsup:

#8 stupid_idiot

stupid_idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

Not much to go on with the pictures, how are the hinges attached?

In my 1st Post is a NewEgg link where I bought the Case. It has at least 5 very detailed images, some you can even zoom in on.

Making my own pics would look terrible.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

I looked at the link none of the pics had a very good closeup of the hinges, however, I would think with what TG and I have suggested, it shouldnt be to hard to remove them . . .

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users