Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 7.5 removal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

So, I've been working on a laptop for someone in our office its an older Dell Inspiron 2650 that she dug up from somewhere. I've been updating it increased the RAM and did all the MS updates and the usual. The problem I'm having is that AVG 7.5 is installed and I want to upgrade it to current version of 9.0, but I can't seem to find a way to uninstall it at all. It doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs, and the installer was left on the Machine but when I run the installer the normal options show up you know like would you like to repair this install then the uninstall option is there. When I run the unistaller it goes through all the normal junk of removing it, but it never actually does no errors or anything runs through I reboot the machine AVG 7.5 still there and fully functional. I've even tried the AVG removal tool from AVG, not sure if it has support for 7.5 but it runs through its checks to no avail. Anyone have any ideas??

Its a dell Inspiron 2650: 512MB Ram: Running XP Home SP3 fully updated

Thanks in advance,

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I woud then try something like Revo Uninstaller....more likely, I would just manually run regedit and remove all traces of AVG and then delete all files/folders reflecting AVG...before installing the latest version or some other AV program. My way is more certain, if not more time-consuming :thumbsup:.

Lous

#3 Barajiqal

Barajiqal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thanks Lous,

I actually got it figured out I didn't think to run the repair first. then It showed up in add/remove and I was able to remove it succesfuly. Thanks for your prompt response though. :thumbsup:

-bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Glad you got it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

I agree with Louis. When I want to completely remove a program,I use Revo Uninstaller(It's excellent),then I use Windows Search to find and delete any remaining files,then I go to regedit to find and remove anything else left. The last 2 steps are good to find and remove any remainders of malware too.
Revo is great for removing stubborn programs that "Cannot be removed" by Windows Add/Remove Programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users