Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL Mail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

I have a friend who uses AOL on the web (webmail) and now she wants to buy a new computer. I am wondering if she logs-on to aol, she will get all of the mail she has now on the AOL. I understand that if she was using the AOL program for her email, it might be easier to backup what she has. I have been doing research on this, she is scared that she will lose (especially) the sent mail.

I want to do this the best and safest way so she doesnt lose any email. Personally, I do not use AOL, so I am not aware of the in's anmd out's. Can someone tell me the best way to do this? Is there software to make it easier?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

If you use webmail it's in the cloud. "Cloud" means it's on AOL's servers, and not locally on her computer. Therefore she shouldn't have any problem switching computers.

Hope this helped, if you have any questions, just reply. :thumbsup:

#3 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

She is afraid that old sent mail will get deleted either by accident or on purpose. Also is their anyway to backup the email in her webmail. It might not be necessary.

I was thinking to put aol in outlook, however I don't know if only new mails will get sucked in or all the mail. She is a psychologist and needs the history of her sent mails.

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Since the mail isn't saved on her computer, it should be fine. To prove this point to her, you can log onto AOL.com from another computer and have her make sure her sent mail is still there.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

She is afraid AOL will crash and burn...lol

#6 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

As long as it's not stored locally (on her computer) she really has nothing to worry about. Unless she deletes the mail, nothing should be deleted.

The whole point of webmail is to be able to connect and receive mail from anywhere you have an internet connection.

Edited by toop4, 13 August 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#7 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

If it can be stored on Windows Mail, it is in her computer and she could back it up remotely. Something like this might give her a better feeling. Although the remote backup place could get bombed...lol

We are talking about a paranoid lady.

#8 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

LOL. If the place was bombed... her main would be screwed anyways ;)

you can always set up the Live Mail program, and store the email on there... just in case the place does get bombed. :thumbsup:

#9 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

I would do what I suggested. Log onto AOL.com and show her that the mail doesn't get deleted.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#10 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

I would do what I suggested. Log onto AOL.com and show her that the mail doesn't get deleted.

Yeah, that's a great idea!

#11 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

I think what she wants is to store the emails locally and be able to backup a pst file and save it on a flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users