Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp fast user switching problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BakedDaily

BakedDaily

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

Hello, i run into a problem while trying to run multiple programs on different user account on my computer.
When i log off all programs will close , but i need them to remain running. when i go to change the ways users log on / log off and click use fast user switching option then click apply, it does not save that setting. I then went to Computer admin account and tryed the same method, when i clicked on enable fast user switching option , a message came up saying (Fast user switching is enabled on this computer. Offline files cannot be enables while fast user switching is enabled.I also went to services and changes the fast user switching compatibility to automatic

So thats my problem, it tells me how to fix it but it says its already enabled but its not , will not let me run progams and switch user accounts. I Dont think ill have issues with memory or processing power.

Edited by BakedDaily, 13 August 2010 - 10:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Don't you have the option to just switch users as this would not log a user off(which would close everything) and instead it leaves them logged on and lets you select another user. I've had several programs/internet windows up and never had any problems with them closing just from switching users. Any further details you could provide would be wonderful, like do you have the option to switch users when you hit start -> shutdown?

-bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Don't you have the option to just switch users as this would not log a user off(which would close everything) and instead it leaves them logged on and lets you select another user. I've had several programs/internet windows up and never had any problems with them closing just from switching users. Any further details you could provide would be wonderful, like do you have the option to switch users when you hit start -> shutdown?

-bar

When i press shutdown, menu comes up to go to standby shutdown and restart.I also have the logoff option which also pops up with a menu that is for switching users and loging off. I have tried all of that and programs still automatically close.Also when i do press switch users from the menu, it doesnt work unless i press the hot key which is windows key+L

Edited by BakedDaily, 14 August 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#4 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

SOLVED,....... I finally figured it out, i had to enable terminal services and increase storage size of the computer event log.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for posting your successful resolution, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users