Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC and Mac not detecting USB stick

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HAJiME

HAJiME

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

The PC is bing-bonging at me and showing the drive in my computer, but I can't access it. Tried click format, won't let me as if it's not plugged in. I can safely remove the hardware though, so it knows it's plugged in.

The Mac won't even ackowledge that it's plugged in.

The 2GB USB stick is brand new.

Halp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

Can you access the thumb drive through Command (Dos) Prompt?
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#3 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

How would I do that?

Thanks,

#4 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

First make sure you have the thumb drive plugged in. Go to my computer to check what drive letter it has been assigned to (E: G: F: Whatever) and make a note of it.

Enter in command prompt. Depending on your operating system there are different ways to get there. Typically in Vista or Windows 7 just click the start menu and type CMD. If you have XP click the start menu, then click run and type CMD. A new screen should appear that has grey text and black background (iconic command prompt window).

In DOS type the letter the drive has been assigned followed by a Colon " : " (ex. "Z:" without quotes). The C:\> should change to Z:\> if the drive is accessible. Otherwise after you hit enter, a message will appear that says "The system cannot find the drive specified" which means that drive cannot be found at that address.

If this happens, I am not exactly sure what is wrong with the drive, but something is definitely wrong with it if it cannot be resolved in either Windows Explorer or DOS. If this happens I would say call the manufacturer and ask them what they think.

If you can access it through DOS. From here you can proceed to formatting it by following the instructions provided here.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TimYH, 13 August 2010 - 10:22 AM.

I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users