Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undetected HDD Disaster!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SimbaDada

SimbaDada

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

I've been looking everywhere for a fix for the last 4 hours, and I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown!

Bought a second and third external HDD for my Dell laptop, and surprise surprise it turned up without an installation disk. (I've tried both of them, with both the new cables, and always hit the same problem.) I'm on vista, which the manual assures me means I don't even need the disk - but clearly something's gone awry. My old HDD - a Dynamode 2.5" SATA caddy - was picked up automatically with no problems. But now I'm trying to overflow into a second, it can't find it. I know the power's working, because the red LED is on, which apparently means the 'hard drive is being accessed' but nothing's been happening.

I've never hit a problem remotely like this before, so I'm stumped. Went into Computer Management and there's a 'Disk 0' and a 'Driver E:', which may or may not be the new HDD, but both read online. Tried looking to see if it was detected in the BIOS, but couldn't figure it out. I'm clueless, I admit it, and begging for help with deep humility. All my university work needs to be backed up, and I'm getting a bit nervous.

:thumbsup:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

SimbaDada,

Goto the My computer Icon on the desktop or My Computer Link in START, right click on it, click on Manage.

On the left side of the Window that pops up, click on Disk Management.

Disks must be initiated before you can format them, perhaps yours need to be corrected, and you can do that here.

Also, perhaps they are just required a Drive Letter Change. You can do that here also. (right click on the external hdd an click change drive letter path)

Any HDD, internal or external, thats connected to the computer, will show up here, even if it doesnt show up in the My Computer Window. As long as it is powered.

You do not need a Disk for External HDD's. Ones that come with one just put supportive software like backup related things, but most just have that information on the HDD itself.

How do you have them hooked up the computer? Directly into a usb port on the computer? or through a USB Hub? Do all of your USB ports work? Is the HUB, if thats what your using, powered only from the USB connection or from a wall outlet?

Have you tried it the HDD's on any other computer/Operating system?

Edited by s1lents0ul, 13 August 2010 - 08:23 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 SimbaDada

SimbaDada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi,

I'm about to try what you suggested, in the meantime, here is the information you asked for:

I only have the new HDD plugged into the laptop. It's plugged in directly to the laptop via a cable with a USB plug on both ends. I have tested the USB sockets on the laptop, which do work. The HDD is powered from its connection to the laptop alone, and no, I haven't tried them with other computers, but there's another laptop in the house I can test them on.

Thanks so much for the help!

#4 SimbaDada

SimbaDada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Haha, no, I can't figure out how to do what you suggested . . . still confused, sorry!

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Click on the Start button in the bottom left corner of your desktop. You will see a listing for My Computer in the pop up window that shows up. RIGHT click on My Computer and in the pop up window that appears after right clicking on My Computer, click on MANAGE.

a New window pops up, on the left side, look for a Listing that says DISK MANAGEMENT. click on that. On the right side of the window, you will see all the HDD listed there.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 13 August 2010 - 10:29 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

Your manual is correct, a hdd is a "plug and play" device, this means that Vista will find native drivers for the hdds.

When you add external devices through the USB Vista will assign drive letters for each. If you go to Start and right click on My Computer you will see all of the external devices that are currently connected.

You can identity each drive by simply unplugging the other drives so that only one at a time is connected. You might wish to write down the drive letter for each drive for future reference.

USB devices are suppose to be hot swappable, meaning that they can be connected and disconnected while the computer is running. I say suppose to be because there can be the occasional problem of losing data on storage devices, for this reason I suggest connecting and disconnecting the hdds with the computer off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users