Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Advert Infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fringedweller

Fringedweller

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

Today I started getting Audio adverts for Harpic and Gaviscon randomly play on my computer even when the browser is closed. Something must have made its way onto my PC but I have no idea where to look. This is driving me nuts as nothing seems to detect it and nothing I have tried seems to stop it. My PC has XP Professional SP3. I have tried full system scans with Avast 5, Spybot S&D, CCleaner, Malwarebytes.
Other than the random audio adverts there is no other unusual behaviour. This is really weird and I've never come accross anything like it before.
I found another post which appears to describe the same problem. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Edited by Fringedweller, 13 August 2010 - 11:15 AM.

Computers are like air-conditioners. They don't work when you open windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TotalLackOfAnyCommonSense

TotalLackOfAnyCommonSense

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

Today I started getting Audio adverts for Harpic and Gaviscon randomly play on my computer even when the browser is closed. Something must have made its way onto my PC but I have no idea where to look. This is driving me nuts as nothing seems to detect it and nothing I have tried seems to stop it. My PC has XP Professional SP3. I have tried full system scans with Avast 5, Spybot S&D, CCleaner, Malwarebytes.
Other than the random audio adverts there is no other unusual behaviour. This is really weird and I've never come accross anything like it before.
I found another post which appears to describe the same problem. Any help would be highly appreciated!

I'm still getting it too.....

#3 SloFlo

SloFlo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

Have you tried running your scans in safemode? I would recommend the new avira antivirus as it may not be a virus or malware as such, it could be a hoax program (joke) or unwanted program, you can select the type of suspicious/virus program/file it searches for.

#4 SloFlo

SloFlo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

What did you do that day the averts started? did you download a particular file, image, music, msn messenger link.....

#5 Fringedweller

Fringedweller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

Have you tried running your scans in safemode? I would recommend the new avira antivirus as it may not be a virus or malware as such, it could be a hoax program (joke) or unwanted program, you can select the type of suspicious/virus program/file it searches for.

If it was just a hoax program wouldn't it show on the startup list and as a running application in windows task manager? Will certainly try Avira and scan in safemode as you suggested.

#6 Fringedweller

Fringedweller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

What did you do that day the averts started? did you download a particular file, image, music, msn messenger link.....

Messenger service is disabled, not aware of downloading anything irregular.

#7 SloFlo

SloFlo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

Depends how well written the hoax program is, have you looked in msconfig to see startup items?

#8 SloFlo

SloFlo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

Do you remember anything weird before this happened?

#9 Fringedweller

Fringedweller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Depends how well written the hoax program is, have you looked in msconfig to see startup items?

Already looked in msconfig, nothing there I don't recognise.

#10 SloFlo

SloFlo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Sorted now then?

#11 Fringedweller

Fringedweller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

Sorted now then?

Sorry, not yet. I have located the hidden processes responsible but have posted elsewhere hoping someone will help to remove them.

Sloflo, thanks once again for your input.

I guess this topic is now closed.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

SloFlo, please read this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/ and heed what it says. Please send me a PM once you have read the topic and feel free to ask any questions.

Hello Fringedweller,

I am about to remove the HiJack This logs from the topic as they are not permitted in this forum.

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339702/hidden-processes-detected-after-removing-mywebsearch-malware/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 August 2010 - 08:24 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users