Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Messed Up So Bad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ginasy

ginasy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

I really don't know how to explain what is happening to my computer. I don't know much about it, but know more than a beginner, but not enough to fix this problem myself. I tried a few months ago to install a fresh copy of windows xp home and i still have old files from the first install but i don't believe there is two copys on my computer... i'd just like to erase everything and start fresh how exactly can i do that without any of my old files showing up. I tried to install windows and i only have one partion and it won't let me delete it, because its on my c drive... im guessing thats my main drive. I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be so so so soooooooooo appreciated. Thanks

oh also do not know if this has anything to do with it, but when my computer is restarted it says, previous fan failure hit f1

I'm so confused.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

If you know how to remove the covers and check that the fans are working then that would be a first thing to do. There should be at least two fans. One in the power supply which you should be able to see from the outside. The second will be over the cpu and that is the one that is probably giving the "failure" message. It might be just clogged with dust. How old is the computer?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

On my Dell it ment I had a fan failure. It's easy enough to replace.
As far as wiping you hard drive and doing a fresh install of xp, that is fairly striaght forward. Make sure your computer boots to the CD. Then restart your computer and boot the disk. It will give you a choice to delete all partitions. Choice that option and follow the on scene instructions. It will prompt you to create a new partition next. If you have the room I would make two partitions one for XP and your programs and one for your data(work, pictures, home work,..) so if you have to reinstall your OS you wont lose your data. Short of a hard drive failure.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

Further to what is already mentioned...

For installing XP, this site will guide you through the installation.

XP Home Installation

For the fan failure..make sure you deal with it before serious damage occurs.

If the computer is under warranty, I would call Dell's support #.

What type of Dell is it?
JC

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:55 PM

I may have misspoken. I assumed it was a Dell because I received the extact same message.
Is it a Dell? IsMe mentioned two fans but mine only had one. Point is it may very model to model.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users