Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new memory and the BSOD!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 median

median

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

Hi,
I am running XP Pro on my machine and had two sticks of 512 there (original from factory). Recently I wanted to upgrade. I bought two sets of matched pair sticks (4x1GB sticks) and installed them. The computer would then crash/freeze after a few minutes of use. I then returned those sticks and got four individual sticks (1GB each) and installed them. Once again, the machine crashed and I got the Blue Screen of Death this time. Long story short, the machine will run fine with 1 or 2 sticks of 1GB DDR 3200mhz but as soon as I add a third it crashes. Can anyone help?

Here is a link to my machine: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...ng=en&cc=us

The motherboard is an HP-Compaq Amberine M.

Aaron

Edited by median, 13 August 2010 - 02:27 AM.

"There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." Buddha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:50 AM

You can follow the proceedures as out-lined here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...t=1151190#N1472

Before attempting to boot to Windows, enter the BIOS set up utility to see if the RAM is recognized in the Main BIOS menu.

You can also test your configuration for errors by running Memtest or Windows Memory diagnostic utility.

Memtest86 4.00 http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

Windows Memory Diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:54 AM

As an extra procedure you can is to try switching the memory sticks around so that at one point, you have each of them in the computer, this may reveal a bad stick.
You may also have one bad slot in this computer.
Make sure your RAM sticks are all from the same manufacturer and the same type.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Well, I was hoping that one of the RAM sticks would be bad. This is not the case. I have tested all of the sticks and they all work in slots 1 and/or 2. So, now I'm thinking that I may have a bad slot on the MB (either slot 3 or 4). What should I do?

Thanks,
Aaron

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Chances are your slot # 3 is bad, that is if the problem starts once you have a stick in that slot.

Its hard to say whether it is a solder joint problem on the RAM slot or a chip problem.

Just out of curiosity, see what happens if you skip slot # 3 and use 1, 2 and 4.

Bruce.

#6 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Well, it looks as though my problem could be 2 bad slots! I tried filling slots 1,2, and 3; as well as filling slots 1,2, and 4. Each time I get the BSOD (likewise when all 4 slots have the 1GB identical chips installed). The weird thing is slots 3 and 4 were never used. I bought this machine back in 2007 and didn't upgrade the RAM until now. Could it be something else?

Aaron

#7 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

I'm just curious as to why you would install more than 2-3gb of ram, seeing as you're probably using a 32bit version of windows and
it wont' see much more than 3gb's of ram.

#8 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

It will see 3.33 and RAM is cheap.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

I know it's a long shot, but I would add the RAM to slot 1, 2 and 3, then enter your BIOS set up utility and check the settings related to your RAM.

See what the timings are and check the voltages.

I also would check the number listed in your BIOS for the total amount of RAM to see if it reflects the total amount you currently have installed.

If it shows you have 3 GB and you have 3 sticks at 1 GB each, then you at least know your system is seeing all 3 RAM sticks.

You could then try doing the same with the forth installed.

If your only showing 2 GB when 3 GB is installed, its either your BIOS can not effectively use the full 3 GB of memory. Perhaps a BIOS upgrade may allow more RAM to be used, or there is a fix in the BIOS upgrade that fixes a known issue.

Or there is a motherboard defect somewhere related to slot 3 and 4.

If everything checks out in the BIOS and all RAM is being displayed properly, then you have an issue with the way Windows is recognizing your RAM and thus comes the next problem to sort out.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users