Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Registry For Internet Explorer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 Freakshow_Coe

Freakshow_Coe

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

Last blog was locked.... sorry if this is messy i'm at work right now at Road Runner

Create new String Value, call it "Window Title" without the quotes, modify it so it has the value of what ever you want to see above your IE program. Also on that note i would recommend using a browser like Mozzila as IE has many downfalls of using it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:26 PM

THANK YOU MR. COE!! YOU ARE THE MAN!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

That sound like a great tool for the advanced users. For the novice users, that can be done with Spybot.
Go to Advanced Mode>Tools>IE Tweaks and just plug in what you want.
It's not as customizable but it's alot easier.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Freakshow_Coe

Freakshow_Coe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:54 PM

Haha well i don't know about that, I just like messing around with my roomies computer, you know the old deal, you leave your computer unlocked, i make a screen shot of your back ground and then set it as your desktop lol it's all good.

Just Glad I could help

#5 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:35 PM

I Aggree, the good part of REG files is that if you know how to play, you don't have to download secondary programs.

Spybot is not reliable... I would recommend that you use Windows Anti-Spyware

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

it is only beta now.. but still works like a charm.

#6 Freakshow_Coe

Freakshow_Coe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

I don't know where you are going with this but i don't like it. Lets just leave it at differnt strokes for differnt folks and not put any software down without testing and playing with it first.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:24 PM

What do you know that the rest of us don't? I have been using Spybot for years and have never had a problem.
Please qualify your statement, and describe the unstable aspects of Spybot.
I do agree that MS antispyware is also very effective.

Edited by acklan, 29 October 2005 - 11:25 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:55 PM

Last blog was locked.... sorry if this is messy i'm at work right now at Road Runner

What do you mean by "locked"? Do you mean "closed"?
Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

Each of the top antispyware programs (mostly) develops their own definitions for their own programs. So, if the programmers don't hear about "xyz" threat - they can't update for it.

That's why it's recommended to scan with several anti-spyware apps.

I think that Freakshow_Coe was referring to this previous thread that's now locked: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33828/regedit-for-internet-explorer-string-please-help/

Edited by usasma, 30 October 2005 - 11:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Freakshow_Coe

Freakshow_Coe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:09 PM

Yes I was referring to the last blog that was getting out of hand, and was going no where appropriate. It was locked so no more messages could be exchanged since it was not relevant.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

Haha well i don't know about that, I just like messing around with my roomies computer, you know the old deal, you leave your computer unlocked, i make a screen shot of your back ground and then set it as your desktop lol it's all good.

Just Glad I could help

I have a problem with giving out information that has the potential for disastrous consequences in a family oriented forum. There are young impressionable people who read these forums. They could use the information made available here to do some serious harm to an innocent computer user. Especially when they may or may not be knowledgeable in what they are doing.

I for one would be extremely upset if I was unable to leave my computer unlocked in my own home because of a roommate who is unable to keep his hands off something that does not belong to him/her. IMHO thats like taking the keys to my car and parking it around the block. It's not so funny when I call the police to report it stolen. And then say "No officer my roommate is not authorized to drive my car."

Be (malicious use) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

Edited by Animal, 30 October 2005 - 05:43 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Freakshow_Coe

Freakshow_Coe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 06:49 PM

It's all in fun and games. We are both certified computer techs. I do apologize for putting that in here, however I do agree when you start playing with Regedit, or even looking at forums about it you should know the hazards of doing so. Also it does not matter if he locks if as I can access almost what ever by remote location. The deal is we can mess around but there will be no harm. How ever I agree if you mess with some ones computer and break it they should be able to break you.

#13 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

The previous post that has been locked:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33828/regedit-for-internet-explorer-string-please-help/

Specifically states that ANYONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO USE REGEDIT, OR IS UNSURE ABOUT IT.... SHOULD NOT PLAY WITH THIS...

I think this covers our bases very well.

#14 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:02 PM

What do you know that the rest of us don't? I have been using Spybot for years and have never had a problem.
Please qualify your statement, and describe the unstable aspects of Spybot.
I do agree that MS antispyware is also very effective.

Spybot has ads all through it, advertising and "click-ads" potentially cause slower browsing or opening a link that you do not want.

MS is clean, in this respect.

#15 chuker1984

chuker1984

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

Duh....In my mind whenever I hear registry I think RED FLAG. It is a dangerous thing to play with if you value the stability of your PC. Although if you do know what you are doing then it should be ok to edit items in here. But I also reccomend for a novie not to really touch the registry unless you are prepared to fromat your computer if you mess up to terribly.

I am the "roomate" in question, and yes he does change my window title, but I know that he knows what he is doing. It is all fun and games, and I know enought to remove the item to correct the window title issue.

Its all fun and games guys, just be careful, thats the only advice I can give.

Within regards to spybot, and MS anti spyware beta, I deal in tech support and have found that customers do complain about spybot. Im not saying its a bad program, but we only hear the bad aspects. So I have no quarrels with it because I havent had the time to play with it myself. MS anti spyware beta on the other hand I use frequently and I compleatly recoomend it. It works EXTREMLY well and I reccomend getting it before MS starts to charge for it.

Those are my 2 cents
-Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users