Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD burner only being recognized as a cd drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ryant0727

ryant0727

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

Ok, so I have a newer Gateway laptop that i haven't used in a while and i wanted to burn some movies and came to find out that the comp is only recognizing it as a cd drive. I've tried to put a dvd in and play it and it doesnt even show that a disc is in it when I go to my computer.

I burned a dvd yesterday evening, and cant understand what could be happening. i ran a diagnostic and it said its not connected. cant see how this is possible if its in my laptop.

Thanks-Ryan

Edited by ryant0727, 12 August 2010 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ryant0727

ryant0727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

Also, I tried to burn an audio cd and windows media player told me to connect a burner and restart it. Take from that what you want. I need help.=(

#3 ryant0727

ryant0727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

I just ran a diagnostic that said its not connected. I dont see how this is possible.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

It is possible that the drive could have become unseated. Try pressing the drive in toward the laptop.

You might want to go to the Device Manager and check to see if there are any errors showing next to the drive.

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

When the Device manager opens scroll down to DVD/CD drives and click on the + to open it.

This link will take you to a website which will show you what the errors look like.

Let us know what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ryant0727

ryant0727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

dc3, first I'd like to say thanks for replying to my question. It is much appreciated. I went into device manager and it doesnt even show up. Its should be under disk drive, correct? If so, Its only showing my hard drive. i pushed it up and in at all kinds of angles to no avail. When i put a dvd in, the reading light comes on and the disc spins for about 20 seconds and then just stops. The vista diagnostic test clearly said no cd rom detected. Would the drive still get power if not connected?
I swear i just burned a movie last night before bed.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

No, if it weren't connected you shouldn't have power to it. About the only other thing that I can suggest would be to remove it and reinstall it.

That is strange having it work one day and not the next.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:53 AM

try to go device manager...click on your computer name (on upper list)...on the up of it a toolbar name Scan for hardware changes click it...and please see does your dvd drive recognized or not...
if not try to reboot your laptop...go to BIOS setup and please check and see does your dvd drive recognized or not...
if not recognized on BIOS setup...please consider RMA your laptop...or you could try to open your laptop but doing this maybe will make your warranty void...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 ryant0727

ryant0727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

Ok, it recognized it when i scanned for hardware changes. Thanks guys.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

Glad to hear your problem solved with doing that :thumbsup:
but if you have same problem in the future...please consider to bring your laptop to profesional...RMA it to gateway much better...tell to the technician that you need to reseated back your dvd drive...make it thigh / or something like that...sorry I dont find a right word to tell it in English :flowers:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users