Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

drivers needed for dell inspiron 2200

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

My dell inspiron 2200 laptop originally came with windows xp installed. i want to load windows 7 on it, but where do i get the drivers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

Go to Dell's site and see, if they have Win 7 drivers for your computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

If you connect to the Internet during installation, Windows 7 will find all the drivers for you. I was with Windows Xp before, and upgraded to Windows 7. Every device i have that came with a CD i didn't need to use. Just plug in and wait, some devices may take a few mins or more. I would however do the Windows install with nothing attached but the mouse and keyboard, and then plug in each device separately. I have a printer, two games controllers, a SanDisk Music player, an external Hdd, a webcam, and they all didn't need a CD or search for the drivers, as Windows 7 did it all for me. If Windows 7 "cant" find your driver (probably only with a device that is 10 years old or more), it will ask you to insert the CD that came with it.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 12 August 2010 - 10:58 PM.

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

To add, in the age of networking, CD's and pretty much any portable media are going to be a thing of the past. Ive got a book of CD/DVD's that i havent touched in months.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 12 August 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Dell Inspiron 2200 is rather older laptop (ca 2005) and it's always better to check things before jumping into a deep water.
At Dell's site: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...-1&impid=-1 not only Windows 7, but even Vista drivers are not listed.
In that situation, installing Windows 7 (if workable) will be a pain.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

I was just thinking that too, how old is this system you are taking about here? If its older, just like any version of Windows, you "might" run into problems with a Newer OS and older hardware

#7 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

http://compreviews.about.com/od/budgetnote...ellInsp2200.htm

Does your system specs match this review? If so this model came out in 2005. Its pushing the limit on "old" in the computer world
according to the specs.

Honestly, if you are looking for "new life " out of your current PC, i would max out things like your RAM, and get the largest Hdd and fastest processor your system can handle.

Or just spend the money on a newer system and not worry about Windows 7 software/hardware incompatibilities

Text from the link

The Bottom LineWhile most budget computer systems tend to skimp on the processor included with them, the Dell Inspiron 2200 features a very strong Pentium M processor that allows it to have strong performance and good battery life.Pros
  • Good Pentium M Processor
  • Customizable
Cons
  • Small 14.1" LCD for Budget Version
  • No Media Card Slot
  • Lacks FireWire
Description
  • Intel Pentium M 735 (1.7GHz) Processor
  • 512MB PC2700 DDR Memory
  • 40GB 4200rpm Hard Drive
  • 24x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
  • 14.1" XGA LCD and Intel GMA 900 Integrated Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory
  • AC'97 Audio
  • v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11g Wireless
  • Three USB 2.0 and One Type II PC Card Slot
  • 13" x 10.6" x 1.5" @ 6.0 lbs.
  • Windows XP Home, Word Perfect 12, McAfee Security Center
Guide Review - Dell Inspiron 2200

10/18/05 Dell's Inspiron 2200 kind of resides between its budget 1200 model and their more expensive 6000 series. Some of the versions do classify as a budget notebook and it is these specifications that are covered in this review.

Powering the budget Inspiron 2200 is the Intel Pentium M 735 (1.7GHz) processor. This is a much more powerful processor than what is typically found in the budget notebook category that is typically powered by the budget oriented Celeron line. It is matched up with 512MB of PC2700 DDR memory that should be sufficient for running most applications.

Storage on the Inspiron 2200 is average. It comes with a 40GB hard drive for file storage and a 24x CD-RW/DVD combo drive. This means that the Inspiron 2200 can play DVD movies and also have the ability to create data or music CDs. Most notebook computers now though are shipping with integrated media card readers for flash memory cards used in digital peripherals. Unfortunately Dell still has not included this in its budget computers. Graphics on the Inspiron 2200 are a bit mixed. The system is designed to use either a 15 or 14.1 LCD panel. In the case of the budget systems, it uses the smaller 14.1 LCD screen even though the case dimensions are for the larger 15 screen. Driving the graphics are the Intel GMA 900 integrated graphics. This is fine for 2D graphics and basic 3D graphics, but don't be expecting to play and 3D games.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 12 August 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#8 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements

It looks like you might be SOL for running Windows 7 on your system. From the looks of it (if your system matches the specs from the previous link, the Windows 7 installation alone will take up HALF of your Hdd space. The main thing here is RAM, if you are running only 512MB, and even "if" you manage to install it on your system, you might get a "reverse" performance out of it, because your Windows 7 will be consuming so much system resources.

Here is a copy and paste of the text

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:
  • Internet access (fees may apply)
  • Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware
  • Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance
  • For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required
  • Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware
  • HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7
  • DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive
  • BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2
  • BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive
  • Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM and an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space.
  • Music and sound require audio output
Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 12 August 2010 - 11:45 PM.

#9 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

I forgot, try running this first and let us know what it says

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

Unfortunately, MS page, like in case of ANY Windows version is a total nonsense.

Windows 7 will run smoothly on dual core processor (not 1GHz) and at least 2GB of RAM regardless on -bit version.
Anything less will halt Windows to a crawl.

16GB drive is simply ridiculous, since after running Windows for 6 months, Windows folder only will grow to 15-20GB.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 Neige

Neige

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:22 AM

commonly, unless for very recently released products, dell does not offer according drivers under win7 platform...
but in most cases it can do with Vista drivers...of course sometimes you can't just click it and install. instead, set its properties first and see if you can search the according folder to install it

#12 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the insights. What I am planning to do is to max out the ram, I think the dell inspiron 2200 can take a max of 4GB, out of which it prbably will use just 3. I am also planning to buy and install a bigger hard drive. I know that Windows 7 normally find and installs the drivers automatically, but I was wondering what to do if it could not find them. Is it possible that the XP drivers might work and somehow automatically cause windows 7 to go into xp mode?

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

Is it possible that the XP drivers might work and somehow automatically cause windows 7 to go into xp mode?

Won't happen...

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users