Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System slowwww...should I reinstall Vista?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozhawk

ozhawk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

My system is really slow. I have run several spyware programs, Avast antivirus and Malwarebytes and haven't found anything. My question is should I do a complete reinstall of Vista or is there an easier alternative. At this point I am open to any and all help that can be given.

Thank You
ozhawk

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

What exactly is slow?

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

====================================================

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ozhawk

ozhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

Sorry for the delay...even keeping this info from dissapearing before i get it posted is a task now. My cursor is blinking and jumping on a regular basis. I am going to post what I can and re-run my virus/malware programs.

When I first sign on the icons on my desktop are all just outlines (no photo image ?), then it can take from 30 secs to a minute for them to refresh and actually appear). I wait forever for IE to load (and have removed 98% of the add ons. I once had Advanced Care Systems installed and then they upgraded to a registry cleaner. Now I am wondering if it screwed things up w/my registry. (Why I wondered if I needed to reinstall Vista again). When I right click on an icon it takes up to 10 seconds to get the menu. I can try to save a website to my favorites and it hangs up. It eventually works, but not like it should. I went through my start up folder and stopped the automatic programs that I thought that I could.

I have attached the file for my startups and really do appreciate your help. I haven't done this autorun attachment before so let me know if I screwed it up.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
System Model Inspiron 518
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
149 GB used
301 GB Free

Thanks Again
ozhawk

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

I once had Advanced Care Systems installed and then they upgraded to a registry cleaner. Now I am wondering if it screwed things up w/my registry.

Very possible.
Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/reg...weaking_13.html

How long ago was it? Can you use system restore, reaching that far?

You didn't attach anything.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users