Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single User Does Not Load

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGirl

ThatGirl

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Earlier today (maybe an hour before this post) I was watching a LP on Youtube (I've been watching it for a few days now). While watching my laptop (A HP DV6000) froze. I'm used to some infrequent freezing that seems more like lag then freezing and I usually restart afterward, but this freeze was very different. The sound from the video didn't keep going (like the times before when it froze) instead it did this weird skippy thing (Like if it had froze on the word "Door" it just said "D-d-d-d-dd-d-d-d-dd" for about a minute.) Then it paused slightly continued to make the noise but it sounded lower.

At this point I just forced a restart. I felt the keyboard and it was kind of warm, but not really. So I left it open and let it cool down for a few minutes. Then I restarted the computer. It asked about running in safe mode, blah blah, and I went back to the 1 of 3 users that I was using before. When I loaded it though it took a long time. Around 5 or so minutes to get from "Welcome" to the actual desktop. Once there it showed the "device not compatible" or whatever page which I keep forgetting to get rid of. When I move the mouse to click it it lags for a while, but then the mouse kicks in and I can press cancel. At this point it still has not loaded the desktop, it just looks like a black wallpaper without desktop icons. Then I look down at the taskbar and I see that the time is the same as whatever time welcome screen disappeared. If I put my mouse over the taskbar to try and click something pinned it just gives me the loading circle&mouse thing. Pressing the windows key does not pull up the menu.

I restarted a few times and got the same symptoms so finally I logged into a different account from the welcome page, which worked perfectly. Then I logged off and tried to log onto the buggy account, it didn't work. I hibernated from there (fn+f5 method) and it hibernated, but when I turned the comp back on it couldn't resume. When I restarted it asked if I wanted to try to resume again but I declined and logged onto a non-buggy account and came here to post this.

Usually I try to fix my own computer messes but I've only been using windows 7 for about 2 weeks now and I barely feel comfortable fixing the registry for Daemon Tools (I didn't even try), so I don't think I'll be trying to fix this on my own.

EDIT: It is 5 hours later and now I cannot log onto this user at all. :huh: It freezes on the welcome page as it is loading. I checked all of my startup programs, I ran my antivirus and malware bytes though I doubt that is it issue. I feel like the problem must lie in the ntuser.dat/log files and such on that account, but I just cannot bring myself to fiddle with them since that may ruin everything :/

Normally I would just delete the account but it is the only account that I really use and it was such a hassle getting all my stuff on there, plus since I don't know what the problem is I don't want to attempt to move any of my stuff from there to another account. grrrrr . . .

EDIT: It dawned on me to try and do a system restore, but that didn't work either O_o; which is weird since the restore point was from 2 days ago and I didn't have this problem twelve hours ago so much as 2 days. I wish system restore was more like an image. :huh:

Edited by ThatGirl, 13 August 2010 - 02:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:36 AM

Hello hopefully I can point you in the right direction to fix your problem.

Please read this concerning ntuser.dat a corrupted user profile. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ed-user-profile

Hope this helps and please keep us informed as to whether this helped or not.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Thank you for your help Bruce. This seems to have done the trick. :D

Though I do have a question. When I moved everything (notwithstanding the ntuser stuff) My firefox in the next profile didn't have my bookmarks. When I checked the other User's folders for the bookmarks I found it in the "AppData" folder. Does Windows just not copy that folder over for the sake of keeping profiles separate? Or to save time because this takes forever to copy.

Anyway, thanks again for your help! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users