Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Starting Program, file expects a newer version of Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aspen2

Aspen2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

PC Specs: HP Pavilion WIN98 SE 4.10.2222A, 384 MB RAM

I recently got my old WIN98 running again after I reinstalled the operating system. I'm sure the system is infected, but I am unable to run any virus scans because I get an error message that system performed an illegal operation and will close.

I've tried Windows Update and get error (0x80072F89). Then I tried to install Spotmau's Powersuite 2010 in hopes of straightening out my system, but I get "Error Starting Program, the C:\Program Files\Spotmau\Spotmau.exe file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version". Then a second error message pops up saying "C:\Program Files\Spotmau\Spotmau.exe. A device attached to the system is not functioning" I even went to softwarepatch.com to download Driver Detective, but get error msg it performed an illegal operation and closes.

I was able to use HJT to do a system scan and have pasted a copy of the log below. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 1:12:43 PM, on 8/12/10
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2614.3500)
Boot mode: Normal

EDIT: removed mis posted HJT log

Edited by boopme, 12 August 2010 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Sorry to say that most of the support for the FAT 32 operating system Windows 98 has been discontinued.

There are some older programs out there that may work with the Windows 98 Kernel, but those programs may not be secure to use and pose a risk.

I went through the same issues with Windows ME when I tried installing Norton Anti-virus 2008, it would not install on that OS, I was left with no choice but to upgrade to Windows XP in the FAT 32 configuration, because that had the updated Kernel Norton would run on.

If anyone knows of any secure programs that are worth trying I am sure they will post a link, but be advised, the Windows 98 SE OS no longer has support from Microsoft to patch security vulnerabilities.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Aspen2

Aspen2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hi Mr Bruce,

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. I knew it wasn't going to be easy trying to get help with a system this old and no longer supported, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'll continue to do some searching to see what I can find.

Best wishes to you with your studies.

Aspen2

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hi Mr Bruce,

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. I knew it wasn't going to be easy trying to get help with a system this old and no longer supported, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'll continue to do some searching to see what I can find.

Best wishes to you with your studies.

Aspen2

To your quote above, I just want to say thank you in return for the kind words you have sent my way. :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Welcome to BC Aspen.

PC Specs: HP Pavilion WIN98 SE 4.10.2222A, 384 MB RAM

Well your memory appears to be ok.

I've tried Windows Update and get error (0x80072F89). Then I tried to install Spotmau's Powersuite 2010 in hopes of straightening out my system, but I get "Error Starting Program, the C:\Program Files\Spotmau\Spotmau.exe file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version". Then a second error message pops up saying "C:\Program Files\Spotmau\Spotmau.exe.

Windows 98 have never done any useful updates from M$ directly.

I've never heard of Spotmau. Googling only brings up Spotmau Power Suite. That doesn't actually show any system spec only is says

Boot Up Windows 98/ME/2K/2003/XP/NT/Vista/7

RAPIDLY Rescue Windows 98/ME/2K/2003/XP/NT/Vista/7

Why do you need this software running? :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users