Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update shutting down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DonutUK

DonutUK

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

My wife's laptop has got Windows 7 on it.

Today when she booted it up it started installing updates.....7619 of them!

Its just a black screen with the Windows logo in the middle and updating text underneath keeping track of the updates.

It gets to about 5000 then just the laptop just shuts down.....well the screen goes completely blank and it looks like it has shut down. It does not respond to mouse input or anything else?

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

There is something seriously wrong here, I am assuming these updates are from Microsoft's Windows update?

It is not possible for there to be 5000 updates from Microsoft even if hardware and program updates are included.

You laptop may be a victim of malware.

Can you boot this computer up in safe mode with networking by hitting the F8 key at the windows splash screen?

Please post back and we'll see what we can do for you, you came to the right place for professional help. :huh:

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 DonutUK

DonutUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

Went to boot the laptop up in safe mode with networking......it went through the loading files bit.....

Then it restarted and showed the "Configuring Windows update" window......and it proceeded to complete configuring and booted up normally!

Apparently the wife said it was doing a windows update when it started with the 7000 odd thing.....

I am going to shut it down it again in a bit and see if it will load normally.

Edited by DonutUK, 13 August 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Do a startup repair http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users