Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unkown Malware Infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Adrian

Kevin Adrian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hello. I've read through some of the posts here and have found one that has the same symptoms I have. It is: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/333206/unknown-infection-details-inside/.

On July 11 2010 Norton went crazy while I was browsing and I knew that I had a nasty malware infection. I used Windows System Restore to go back a few days which killed off a majority of the infection however, now I'm receiving random pop-ups in my browser and some (not all) sites are re-directed. Some of the re-directs and pop-ups are attack sites that have resulted in squiring other infections one of which was a PDF virus. I have attempted to clean up the other infections myself. I have found the files and deleted them using my Knoppix disk. There is still a service running left over from the PDF virus that I'm unable to remove. But I can't find a trace of what is causing the browser redirects and pop-ups. Additionally I receive SVCHOST errors from time to time that require me to reboot.

I also need to add that this is a corporate laptop and so any entries for "Hilti" that you find are safe. We also use RealVNC so we need to leave it alone. Since Norton Antivirus is admined over the network I can not disable it. If I take this to the help desk they will re-image and I would rather try and clean it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the HijackThis logfile.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 2:26:37 PM, on 8/12/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\AtService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Smc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DkLog.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dkvcm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dkcktkn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CCM\CcmExec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Taskbar Shuffle\taskbarshuffle.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\SlickRun\sr.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SmcGui.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqToaster.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\distnoted.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://www-proxy.securevpn.hilti.com/wpadvpnv8.dat
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Taskbar Shuffle] C:\Program Files\Taskbar Shuffle\taskbarshuffle.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WatchDog] C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD Check\DVDCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SlickRun] "C:\Program Files\SlickRun\sr.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [328774] "C:\DOCUME~1\NETWOR~1\LOCALS~1\APPLIC~1\328774.exe" 0 20 (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [328774] "C:\DOCUME~1\NETWOR~1\LOCALS~1\APPLIC~1\328774.exe" 0 20 (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: UserSettings.lnk = C:\Program Files\HILTI\UserSettings\InstallUserSettings.bat (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hilti.com
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1244834421306
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1244834506721
O16 - DPF: {8100D56A-5661-482C-BEE8-AFECE305D968} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2009.0...oUploader55.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = us.hilti.com
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = us.hilti.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = us.hilti.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = us.hilti.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = us.hilti.com
O20 - Winlogon Notify: DkWLNP - DkWLNP.dll (file missing)
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Update Service (AdbUpd) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\WINDOWS\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AuthenTec Fingerprint Service (ATService) - AuthenTec, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\AtService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: Datakey's Log Service (DkLogger) - Datakey, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DkLog.exe
O23 - Service: Datakey's Token Service (DkTknSrv) - Datakey, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dkcktkn.exe
O23 - Service: Datakey's Virtual Channel Monitor (DkVcm) - Datakey, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dkvcm.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Management Client (SmcService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Smc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Access Control (SNAC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SNAC.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Endpoint Protection (Symantec AntiVirus) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Rtvscan.exe

--
End of file - 10114 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hello Kevin Adrian ,

The problem here is that this is a business computer that does have an IT department. While I understand completely that you don't want to have it wiped, I do not want to be accused of going against your company policy, and I don't want that for Bleeping Computer either. On top of that, your IT dept. gets paid for this and we do not.

Regards,
tea
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#3 Kevin Adrian

Kevin Adrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Wow. That's really disapointing. Any way someone can tell me what kind of infection I have or what it is officially named. Then I can do my own research and apply the neccessary fix.

Thanks,

- KA

#4 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry, but I strongly recommend you use your IT department. Again, that's what they get paid to do, and we don't want to go against any company policy that might be in place regarding computers. smile.gif

tea

Posted Image

#5 Kevin Adrian

Kevin Adrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Thanks tea for your assistance. I went ahead and ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and tdsskiller both of which cleaned the infection. I would have donated via your paypal account if I had recieved any help. huh.gif

kindest regards,

Kevin A

#6 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry you feel that way, but surely you can understand our position from a legal point of view. I am glad you got your problem resolved. thumbup2.gif

Take care,
tea

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users