Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't load or recover

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greekboy

greekboy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

HI,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P200 -1EE laptop, and is running on Windows Vista Business.
The laptop status has been excellent however since last month load of problems start occurring.

When I was able to log in the system suddenly the mouse start playing up. Right click was pressed as soon as I
was moving the cursor and the windows was constantly stalling and I had to reboot it manually. This issue kept
persisting for a week or so and I decided to format and fresh restart of the same OS. For the first hour looked fine,
but again even after the new installation the problem was still there.

I started the laptop in Safe Mode to see whether this problem was occurring, but that wasn't the case. In safe mode
everything was working nice and smoothly, and I didn't have any problem so I thought to load the basic devices and services
and take it from there.

Sadly, the window wasn't logging in at all. I waited over 2 hours and it was still loading. Then I turned it of left it for few hours
and I tried to start it in safe mode again but this time it didn't let me. After 1 minute or so, death screen appeared and keeps
restarting. The screen it goes so fast so I am not able to read it in full.

I managed to get something via a snapshot from my phone and it says:

" A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

As a last resource I tried to use the recovery disk from Toshiba, but it loads for hours and nothing happens, all I see is the black
screen with the cursor on it.

Can you please advice me what shall I do?

Many thanks in advance

Edited by greekboy, 12 August 2010 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greekboy

greekboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Further to the above issue, after running a hdd test It come with the following info:

Failure code : 0 x73 - Defective Device. Excessive Shock

Test date : 13 - 08 - 2010

Technical Result Code (TRC)

What does that mean please??

#3 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

It means your hard drive is failing. Is there any data you need to recover? If not, all you need to do is get a new drive and reinstall again.

This ought to do: http://www.amazon.com/160GB-7200-Rpm-Sata-...e/dp/B002WTVITY

#4 greekboy

greekboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

It means your hard drive is failing. Is there any data you need to recover? If not, all you need to do is get a new drive and reinstall again.

This ought to do: http://www.amazon.com/160GB-7200-Rpm-Sata-...e/dp/B002WTVITY

Hi thank you for your response. Yes I have some data that I need to recover.
Thank you for you link. Does that harddrive will be ok for my laptop as it is not a toshiba one and
it looks for normal PC.

Many Thanks

#5 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi - the key item in the description is "2.5 inch" - that means it's a laptop drive. No problem that it's not a toshiba - seagate is a better drive manufacturer IMO anyway, and it's a faster drive. Not sure why it's so cheap, but generally Amazon is pretty reputable :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users